Open Vented WBS to Pressurised Thermal Store over distance

Apologies for asking another layout question- theres lots on here but I'm not sure mine will work over distances involved

The situation at the moment is that I have self built a large single storey extension (with 4m high ceilings in living space and a loft) (135m2) attached to an old 135m2 farmhouse.

within the old farmhouse, on the ground floor I have a 500 lt pressurised/sealed thermal store, complete with appropriately sized expansion vessel.
This is powered by a 30kw oil boiler and heats the house through conventional radiators.

In the extension I have an underfloor heating manifold connected to the thermal store which provides ufh throughout.

I have a new boiler stove- an Arada Stratford 25HE Ecoboiler Wood Burning Multi Fuel Boiler Stove, which requires an open vented system, and as such I was thinking of a load valve or loadunit/plate exchanger etc.

I am yet to purchase anything that would go between woodburner and thermal store

I have plumbed in and insulated 28mm flow and return pipes from the thermal store to the woodburner, which is roughly 20m away on the same level, but the pipes route up and through the ceilings.

I have plumbed in an overflow pipe from loft above thermal store down and out through wall

I have access to mains cold water in loft above woodburner

I would have ample room in the loft above the woodburner to install any equipment

I would appreciate advice on whether a laddomatt type install would work (picture attached)
also would a load unit/load vale be able to be placed in loft 4m above WBS - level with plate heat exchanger 4 m or does it have to be level with WBS

The stove outputs 22.5kw to water - I've not bought, nor sized heatsink radiator, but I've plenty room to put multiple rads

I was planning a pipestat or flue pipe stat to kick off the pump in load unit

please ignore the fact both ports are linked on back of WBS that's just from a graphic I stole

drawing.png

I'm in the process of installing something very similar, have you had a look at 'Heat Genie' its manufactured by Systemlink in Ireland. It's an all in one system that will link your stove into the thermal store keeping the stove water separate from the thermal store and also provides stove overheat protection. I'm just about to install one.

You could also consider the H2 panel. If you ring up you speak to the inventor and designer of the panel and he makes different models for whatever your situation is.

The issue you are going to have is the thermocycling and dissapation of heat if there was a power cut

well my issue with the panels, all in one solutions is they seemed to be priced to try and take the hassle away

the heat Genie comes in at over £700 + some extraneous items, as does the nrg link from ireland

the laddomat  set up above can be achieved for circa £500, but with a little hassle.

I'm currently looking at how to power the pump in the event of power failure, even if just for an hour to allow fire to die down.

We bought all (not flue) our biomass stuff inc boiler from https://kotly.com.pl/kategoria-laddomaty-217.html?l=pl 

If the power supply fails to the laddomant it still allows a natural thermosiphon circuit which will work with the heat dump usually a permantlt open radiator.

Dont forget air points in that system!

Edited by Alexphd1

I've not found them overly helpful

their response was

We don't sell direct so you will have to purchase the product through a Plumbing Merchant. We deal with most of the main ones all over the country. In terms of price, you are looking at €708.00 (Nett) for the 30Kw Heat Genie with 1.3 m probe or €765.00 (Nett) for the 30Kw Heat Genie with 4m probe. These prices are excluding V.A.T. and are only a guideline for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Tin soldier, sorry for the delay in reply. 

Yes we installed the whole system ourselves. 22kw log gasification boiler. 2x 500L thermal store.

Is the dunsley unit not just for mixing multiple open vented system? only came across one in the wild......gave it a wide berth as didn't know anything about it at the time.

Edited by Alexphd1

• 11 months later...

I didn't see it answered already but...

does a Laddomat have to be at the bottom of the circuit or not? The MIs for the 21-60 say yes, the 11-30 don't comment. But the larger one is fixed-orientation whereas the 11-30 can be fitted any shape..