Isotex Build - March 2019

Tom's Barn

If anyone is interested in visiting just let me know. We will be on hold for a while whilst we try and sell our house to fund the remainder of the build. The Isotex blocks are very much on show internally - see attached picture.

Also, I have dropped in a picture of a the largest box gutter roof I have ever built. The fibre glass is attached to a 36mm deck of OSB3 with a separating layer of VP400 (to reduce rain noise - separating the layers of board).

DSC_0401.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lovely build so far!

We are literally at the point of deciding between Durisol vs Isotex. Totally confused, and clueless on what's better. I suppose my main and the only concern is blowouts during pour. The rest I think I can manage whilst attempting to do many of the site activities bare handed.

Also, were you given a quote for the raft foundation based on sq metres? or was it more of a fixed price cost judged upon the full design?

I gathered that you are in or near Newbury. We will be building in Graven Hill (Bicester), so not very far away. Perhaps you could recommend "local" contractors that might be able to help wit the build?

Regards

Bart

Hi Bart

Thanks for your feedback.

We are just outside Cirencester so you can pop over and have a look if you have time. I can provide an overview as to why I chose Isotex.

Let me know if you would like meet up.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. 

We are in West London, so Cirencester may be a bit of a trek for us at the moment, but maybe next time we venture out to Swindon Build Show, we could "detour" a bit on the way back, and have a look :)

I would be very keen to find out why you indeed chose Isotex and not Durisol for example. But equally, why not Velox (we actually ruled it out now, although were pondering it for a very short while).

Regards
Bart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Your build looks brilliant, and the information you've shared is really helpful.

We're on the East London/Essex border. Have planning agreed to knock down our existing detached property and rebuild a new house with a basement. I started off wanting ICF but convinced myself to go traditional as I've worked on the tools before, although a very long time ago. After getting some pointers from the chaps on a different thread and seeing your posts and success, I'm swinging back to ICF.

I've seen a few post regarding bracing, did you use any?  Also did you use a vibrating poker ? when you poured the concrete? 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.....sorry no name....

Thank you for the feedback - a labour of love it was during construction and it will be for some time moving forward as we complete the fit out.

Bracing is required if you have about 6 to 8 courses to fill. However, with the onsite crane (the new approach) you can pour every 4 courses which means no bracing and less worry. The advantage of woodcrete over the plastic ICF is that it allows air and water to escape - leaving behind a strong concrete mix with no air gaps. Definitely the way to go. 

If you think a phone call would help to talk things through just let me know.

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Graeme,

as per my personal note to you fully recommended but it is important to ensure you have someone who has worked with aluminium before because it is not like other metal roofing materials. It is as I said lightweight, durable, covered by a long manufacturer warranty, and easy work with.

One of the best features is the colour. No shine and 100% RAL 7016.

Everyone who has been passed the house has commented on how good the roof looks. I took the inspiration from many years in Austria - the home of Prefa.

Tom

@Tom's BarnHi Tom, Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to one of the sales managers who couldn't be more helpful. I was planning on using zinc, but the cost of this product makes it much more attractive. The guy we are using said he thought it was an excellent product, but great to have a customers view. BTW I didn't get your personal note.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/05/2021 at 10:47, arvid309109 said:

Hi @Tom's Barn 

Very good job and I'm very impressive. 

Can you tell me how much m² have this project and how much is total cost to get same building?

Hi sorry for the delay in responding, it has been a little hectic onsite. The only way to gain a price per square meter is to talk with Jamie at ISOTEX, he can tell you the current cost and the cost per square metre going traditional. You cannot really compare my project to your becuase there are so many vaiarbles that would make the final price very different.

Sorry I could not be more helpful on this point. The only way to compare costs is ISOTEX vs standard construction vs timber frame. However, even when you have this data it is not that useful as each approach has its own benefits and downsides.

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2021 at 10:47, arvid309109 said:

Hi @Tom's Barn 

Very good job and I'm very impressive. 

Can you tell me how much m² have this project and how much is total cost to get same building?

ISOTEX is approx £70/square metre.  ISOTEX is an MMC (Modern Method of Construction) and it can't really be compared with standard construction and  timber frame IMHO

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi @Tom's Barn,

I was reading up on your build as well as those done by others on this group and have been very interested in using Isotex for my own build. I am currently in the process with an architect of designing a fairly large single storey ~190sqm “outhouse”, in the garden (new build) as well as a large extension to our existing house too. Plans are to be finalised and sent to planning but I recently attended the Grand Designs show at the NEC and came across Isotex which interested me greatly as an alternative way to build. I am in contact with one of the Italian owners whom I met at the show (as well as someone who locally builds using this method for them), about it all but wondered whether you had any final thoughts about it all, whether you would use it again as a build method, whether anything that you had not considered before about the build changed your thinking or methods during build and perhaps importantly whether you would do anything differently. 

I am grateful for your time and I hope you are enjoying your build otherwise. 

BW

Nags