Consumer unit location

Originally I was going to locate my cu in the garage, the reason for this is it’s the closest location to our supply, our supply is just over 100 m long so the closer it is the cheaper the cable would be. 

However, I’m now thinking a better place would be more central in the house

if I put it in the garage will I need to supply fire stops on the cables as they enter the house

can anybody provide reasons for not having it in the garage, and having it more central. 

Cheers peeps. 

In the house we rented whilst we built, the CU was in the attached garage (no connecting door).  It was fine until a lightbulb blew and tripped the RCD, and then it was a pain in the arse to go out and flick it back on.  Ours is located in the house; not centrally, but with all the other plant, and that would be my recommendation. All cables lead to the CU, so what you save on one side you gain on the other.

On a slight tangent, and for no reason other than debate, I believe that for disabled access purposes building regs stipulate the permissible height of a CU installation, and that a level door threshold into the house must be provided.  If you put a CU in the garage, do you also have to provide level access to the garage?

5 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

On a slight tangent, and for no reason other than debate, I believe that for disabled access purposes building regs stipulate the permissible height of a CU installation, and that a level door threshold into the house must be provided.  If you put a CU in the garage, do you also have to provide level access to the garage?

Food for thought, and a bloody good point if the garage is the back door to the dwelling.

Discuss people !!

37 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Chuck the lot in the garage.

I'm inclined to second this. I kind of think put as many bits which service the house but which you neither sit on, store food in or sleep over, out of the way so to save space where you might later want space.

I spoke to building control about the Cu location

we will have a 100mm step down into the garage, which would hinder disabled access, he scratched his chin and said that they will have to roll out the front door and access the Cu via the garage door. He was happy. 

Tbh and trying not to sound like a bas###d what are the chances of a wheelchair dependent person living in my house on their own without assistance 

very slim. 

I had thought that obviously a longer incoming cable will mean shorter outgoing cables, the reason for sticking at the 100m was the easy availability of a roll of cable pre cut at that length so a good price, rather than paying a premium for 115m. 

Thanks all, 

anymore thoughts. 

Can't you bring the <100m "cheap" length to the garage then feed another cu in the house from there with all the circuits that might trip and require resetting in the house / plant room and thus more easily accessible? 

Say the garage door supply trips that'll screw your wheelchair user. 

so from the meter board in is more than the DNOs 3m limit and it'll need a type S 100mA on it to protect the cable.

No reason  then not to bring the cable into a small CU in/ for the garage and then out of it again into the house, I'd think. But let's wait for @ProDave to give his trusted view.

Meter is in a brick cabinet on property boundary 100m away, would be some long tails??

just thinking out aloud 

if I ran main cable to a Cu in the garage, then fed a couple of sub boards in the plant room 

could I drop in a few smaller swa from the first board to the sub board(s)

for an example, if my main in was 32mm swa, could I then run two or three smaller cables to supply the sub boards

just trying to work out if it’s easier to buy a longer length of bigger cable or more lengths of smaller

tbh its probably not worth working it out to save £20 

i think it will come down to personal preference of the sparkie