Where to find spares

Our Stuart Turner Showermate 1.8 Bar Twin Pump (model 46407) suddenly started making a strange noise and the hot water pressure dropped. Took it apart partially to find the impeller on the hot water side needs replacement (although not clear why - the shaft turns easily and the cold water side is OK). The pump itself is not very old so I thought surely it is easy to find a part - but had no luck so far as the manufacturer doesn't sell these direct anymore and none of the usual suspects seems to stock it. I've managed to find one used on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-STUART-TURNER-SHOWERMATE-IMPELLER-SHOWER-PUMP/223304405951 - and nothing else. This site https://www.showerdoc.com/newteam-impeller-set-of-2-st-16582 says discontinued. So - is it my search skills or are there some hidden gems available to trades only? Or do I just have to buy a new one ASAP?

I will probably try to install the good impeller on the hot water side and see whether it is any better for now :-)

It's the shaft hole (is this the right term?) - I guess the wheel has jammed somehow and the steel shaft just broke the plastic.

I found a few used pumps on ebay for £25-35, seem a better bet than a single used wheel. But it used to be a tenner for a pair of these.

5 minutes ago, Triassic said:

As of January 2015, individual spare parts are no longer available for Monsoon, Showermate, Techflo, Flomate and Wasteflo product brands.

However, a new and simplified set of Service Kits are available and these can be purchased on-line at www.stuart-turner.co.uk/where-to-buy.

yes, checked the link as well, the kits are well over £100 (???!!!) and not available for Showermate anyway. How the market allows them to get away with not supporting their products properly for 10 years I don't quite understand.

27 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

It's the shaft hole (is this the right term?) - I guess the wheel has jammed somehow and the steel shaft just broke the plastic.

I found a few used pumps on ebay for £25-35, seem a better bet than a single used wheel. But it used to be a tenner for a pair of these.

As soon as I saw the picture of it, I thought that round hole with 2 flats to engage on the drive shaft was a weakness.  It will "round" over time and the hot one will probably last the shortest time.

Second hand pumps will be unknown and their impellers may be on their last legs.

These are clearly getting harder to source so personally I would go and buy the 2 that bloke on ebay has.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, everybody

It seems there is not much I can do - will have to buy used for now (still hope in a couple of years we won't need all that :-) )

It does work with no impeller on the cold water side albeit with a slightly hot water output. We can live with it until the replacement arrives.

On 13/01/2019 at 14:32, oldkettle said:

. How the market allows them to get away with not supporting their products properly for 10 years I don't quite understand.

Maybe the moral of this story is not to buy Stuart Turner shower pumps as they don’t provide adequate Support for spare parts.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Maybe the moral of this story is not to buy Stuart Turner shower pumps as they don’t provide adequate Support for spare parts.

I have a Triton tower shower that has gone wrong and will need to replace the whole thing as they no longer sell spare parts for that model so not unique to Stuart Turner. 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I have a Triton tower shower that has gone wrong and will need to replace the whole thing as they no longer sell spare parts for that model so not unique to Stuart Turner. 

How sustainable of the both! 

There was  an item on our local talk radio on the increase in interest in repair clubs from people sick of throwing things away for the want of a simple repair. I recently visited my local dump with a 15 year old computer case, I’d striped it of things I could reuse, and the skip of electrical goods was full. A sad state!

Shame on Stuart Turner and Triton Showers!

I agree. The chuck and buy new culture isn’t great but it’s a viscious cycle. Appliances tend to be cheap to replace compared to getting someone in to fix them plus people want the new models that are generally ‘improved’ and can be more efficient. That leads to lack of demand for people to fix appliances so we no longer have people with those skills readily available. My OH used to be able to take things apart and fix them mostly but I can’t do that so have to bite the bullet and replace them. You can have appliances taken away when you buy new ones but that costs money so many people dump them at the local tip. I recently got rid of a carpet cleaner that had only been used once (no carpets in my house) and a couple of vacuums that both worked but were no longer required. I just dumped them at the tip but I hope they do recycle the parts. 

Well, I understand why certain items, such as electronics, tend not to be repaired. But here we have a 50p piece of plastic that takes 5 mins to replace - and there is no need to even get a plumber to do it. Very disappointing.

Still I'd rather not buy their stuff and find some other manufacturer than have the government introduce another legislation requiring them to provide spares. 

We have a fantastic recycling centre / shop  right next to the dump and you can choose to either dump stuff of see if the shop will take it. They then get electronic stuff repaired and certified and sell on at a very reasonable price. They sell everything from tiles to bird cages. I love the idea of repair clubs ! A bit like a man shed club but slightly more techi. I have so far repaired my bosh dishwasher (impeller) and LG tumble dryer ( bearings and belt)  I am still to understand how to repair my dehumidifier..........