Re-buying paint - codes on the tin?

gravelld

I have some old windows that need a new coat of paint. I found an old tin of paint from the former owners of the house in the garage - I applied this and it's the right colour.

But I need more.

The sticker on the tin says:

French Grey

2906-G56Y NTB18

PPG NTB

It's on a Sadolin tin.

So should I just find Sadolin "French Grey" or do those code numbers give away the colour code, or something? I googled the codes but nothing came up.

The 2906-G56Y is the NCS code for it so should be easily matched as that's a common colour code. 

Is it a gloss paint ..? Or something more "woodstain" as the issue will come when you look at the solids component of a stain. Gloss is pretty much gloss, although a newer tin may give a slightly "glossier" finish. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The 2906-G56Y is the NCS code for it so should be easily matched as that's a common colour code. 

Is it a gloss paint ..? Or something more "woodstain" as the issue will come when you look at the solids component of a stain. Gloss is pretty much gloss, although a newer tin may give a slightly "glossier" finish. 

Thats not a current NCS code that I recognize.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll get one of my guys to run it through the database.

Edited by Barney12

11 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

That's not a standard code that I recognize.

Thats not a current NCS code that I recognize.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll get one of my guys to run it through the database.

Yep it looks pre 1995 .... Which makes that paint very old ..!

Ok, thanks. It can't be pre-1995, the windows were only painted three or four years ago. The windows would be in even worse condition if it was pre 1995 ;-) 

This is the paint: http://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-superdec-satin-opaque-wood-protection/

What surprises me is that "French Grey" isn't listed under colours. However it is here: https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/HA572610F/French Grey

So I was interested: is the paint formulation some proprietary blend of chemicals, and any pigment can be added over the top - is that why retailers are selling it in different shades to that which the manufacturer lists?

Truth be told I wondered if I could order online for convenience and possible savings, which is why I was wondering if those numbers were a colour code. But I was also worried about what "French Grey" might mean to different retailers.

I guess I'll just go local.

So apart from a few F&B colours, most manufacturers use the NCS codes so that you can potentially use different brands and get the same "colour" as you can't trademark the actual colour itself 

The problem comes when you try and use different suppliers as their chemical concoction will be slightly different so they are subtly different - check e-paint out if you want to see what I mean and search a colour. It will show you all the options for that colour and how they differ. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party.

My supplier just phones up their tech. dept for the mix for  competitor's colours.

One thing not mentioned is that you want to know whether your existing paint is solvent or aqueous based.

If dated from 1995 it will be the former imo, and you need to make sure that the aqueous paint you may get now will be compatible. Appropriate preparation and primer will probably be the remedy, or sanding right back, or specifying solvent-based.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks. I went back to the original shop and asked. They said they mix their own pigment into the paint and be wary of buying elsewhere (of course ;-) ) because the shade can deviate by about 4% (I think he said) from RAL colour.

It's a modern microporous paint.