Floor tile layout

Pete

Just a query for the resident tilers out there, @Nickfromwales, @nod, @Onoff, trying to decide which way to design my floor tile layout. I will be laying 1200 x 1200 floor tiles and most of the layout is pretty straight forward except for one area. I have tiled quite a few times before and I know the setting out is very important and worth the time it takes to get the right look but I have a long corridor which would look great with the tile joint down the middle and an even sized tile each side approx 800mm. If I go down this route it creates a problem on the other side of the house in the large lounge/kitchen/dining room area. In this area I have three columns that I need to tile around, these are approx 200mm square and would mean having to tile round them with small pieces round the back next to the sliding doors. If I started my tiling in a straight line immediately next to the columns this would mean the cuts would then look right as it would be a tile 350mm x 1200mm with the square for the column cut out of it but would look better in my opinion. If I went down this route it would then throw out the corridor area which would be a tile of approx 400mm against the internal wall and a full tile against the exterior wall if this makes sense. I realise tiling is sometimes about compromise and you cannot always get the desired look in all parts of the area to be tiled but this dilemma is proving one I am not sure which is the best way to proceed.Creamery Floor Plans - Archive.pdf

I take it you have a tile laying machine to place these monster units.

you won,t hand lay them 60kg  ?

why would you need to tile in small bits around pillars -- just cut out corners of tiles .sounds like you need  a few osb 1200m x1200 mm tiles to play around with it  and then use them to cut templates for nasty pillar fitment --and scribe on to real tiles.

no one can see what you have got so it will be a nice krypton factor job for you alone.

osb tiles are the answer to working it out 

you bought the tiles yet ? maybe tile maker might have a bit of software he can work it out for you

Edited by scottishjohn

What an epic job!  Are you tiling the whole ground floor?

If it was my choice I would have the corridor looking right as it is such an important part of the design.  Are you doing anything special with the ceiling / lighting / skirtings along this?

Before and after pics please.  Chop chop!

IF you can get to grips with a dead simple CAD program like Draftsight then even though a 2D program, you could draw your layout then view in 3D, rotate it etc. Or fire a hand drawn 2D and I'll CAD it up and give you some different views.

16 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I take it you have a tile laying machine to place these monster units.

you won,t hand lay them 60kg  ?

why would you need to tile in small bits around pillars -- just cut out corners of tiles .sounds like you need  a few osb 1200m x1200 mm tiles to play around with it  and then use them to cut templates for nasty pillar fitment --and scribe on to real tiles.

no one can see what you have got so it will be a nice krypton factor job for you alone.

osb tiles are the answer to working it out 

you bought the tiles yet ? maybe tile maker might have a bit of software he can work it out for you

It is a bit hard to explain but with the tiles being so large i will need to cut out the bits where the columns are located. If I start and get the corridor right I will have a piece to cut out in the middle of a tile so will have to fit a small piece round the back of the column to complete the full tile if you get my drift. If I start at the columns I will just cut a square out for the column and it will look neater. I should do a drawing really.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I do not like to leave you out mate. Master tilers apprentice!!

Don't distract him - he's supposed to be grouting but clearly procrastinating again ;)

“Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow.”

• Haha 1

CAD or squared paper to start with then cardboard /ply/osb templates to confirm. I imagine it would look better with one 1200 central to the corridor rather than a line down the centre of the corridor.

Do they sell matching tiles in other sizes? Otherwise you could end up with a massive amount of waste

The columns you're talking about are the four circles along the bottom left of the ground floor plan, just above the windows? Square in real life though shown as circles on the drawing? Four on the drawing but the living room won't be tiled, I assume? What centres are they on and how far are they from the corridor centreline?

26 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

The columns you're talking about are the four circles along the bottom left of the ground floor plan, just above the windows? Square in real life though shown as circles on the drawing? Four on the drawing but the living room won't be tiled, I assume? What centres are they on and how far are they from the corridor centreline?

The right hand of the four circles has been omitted and incorporated into the wall structure, but yes they are the columns that I am on about. It was a case of do you want round or square columns when we dealt with the timber frame chap and square it was. From the side of the columns nearest to the front door is exactly 7 full tiles, give or take a few mill,  but as I have said earlier it means the corridor will be a 1200mm tile running down the exterior wall and then a 400mm at the narrowest point to complete the corridor if you get what I mean.