Victorian house insulation project

Laura

my first thoughts are 

if its victorian  it is probably solid brick wall --no void ,so it will be lather +plaster and air gap up the back of it

If you justinsulate and do not attend to wal dampnes possibilites insulating it could make all sorts of problems 

I am guessing you r ground floor beamns are just supported on soil and slate packers --

again dampness possibilites 

seal it all up and no ventialation you will get mould 

I see ground is built hard up to outside wall  and door threshold is nearly ground level 

again another damp possibility 

if you can can you need a nice drainage system around the outer wall to stop dampness going into brick + then into house 

you need some proper inspection to address these possiblities before racing into insulation 

Thanks John, damp is a concern. There is a tiled gutter along the ground between the two down pipes, maybe we should extend that. I quizzed the tenants when we looked round it, they reckon it isn’t damp, hopefully our surveyor will agree! I’m hoping that there’s a bit of a gap (just a foot or so) under the floor beams, it sounds pretty hollow.

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

my first thoughts are 

if its victorian  it is probably solid brick wall --no void ,so it will be lather +plaster and air gap up the back of it

If you justinsulate and do not attend to wal dampnes possibilites insulating it could make all sorts of problems 

I am guessing you r ground floor beamns are just supported on soil and slate packers --

again dampness possibilites 

seal it all up and no ventialation you will get mould 

I see ground is built hard up to outside wall  and door threshold is nearly ground level 

again another damp possibility 

if you can can you need a nice drainage system around the outer wall to stop dampness going into brick + then into house 

you need some proper inspection to address these possiblities before racing into insulation 

You might want to edit your post as the op has now moved her questions to the appropriate forum section.