Minimum practical distance between two houses

Sjk

I'm going over all my plans again and trying out new designs.

Say a neighbours property is build up to the boundary, what is a good minimal distance to keep between them? I was thinking 1m, but not sure if this is a little too wasteful.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sjk said:

I'm going over all my plans again and trying out new designs.

Say a neighbours property is build up to the boundary, what is a good minimal distance to keep between them? I was thinking 1m, but not sure if this is a little too wasteful.

Thanks!

Do they've a window or do you've a window planned? You can get around privacy with frosted glass like a bathroom window but a big issue is fire. Windows are called unprotected areas in an elevation and the percentage of glazing relates to the distance. I don't know the numbers off but check Part B of the fire regs.

ENough so that when all the clutter and the gubbins and the sticky-out bits are in place, you can with reasonable ease put scaffolding in place to maintain it in 20 years time.

And get anything through the gap that you may need at the other  end.

If I can do it I like space for a decent digger, which means about 1.1-1.2m. Not always possible and you may have another route.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks all

Yes there would be a wider space the other side of the house, there are no windows etc to deal with as the neighbours house used to be attached pre slum clearance.

I havent planned any windows for that side, but perhaps a small one for a loo would be nice.

Edited by Sjk