She's having a romantic moment: she wants a Juliette...

Now that she can walk around upstairs, (yes, I've popped the joists in roughly where they should be) Debbie wants a juliette balcony.

And I  am very aware of the perils of changing the design during the build. 

At this stage of the build, I think I could  easily pop the infrastructure for a glass screen juliette in front of the window opening (in this case our window is a door acting as a window). And of course the SE would need to sign it off.

But there will be some hidden gottchas here. Anyone care to argue why we shouldn't  have a go at putting one in? 

I mean isn't it as easy as resining some thumping great stainless steel threaded bar in the concrete , and then screwing the glass to the bar?

Presumably you'd be needing to lower the height of the window cill - how does that work with ICF? Or, do you already have an opening of the correct height so you're simply swopping a full height fixed window for a full height window that will open into the room.

Assuming it's the latter then the main gotcha will be the added cost of the glass screen and it's supports. My recommendation for the glass in any balcony would always be two panes of heat soaked toughened glass laminated together. The risk with a single pane of toughened glass is that if it fails you've lost the fall protection.

Edited by Ian

What is the point in a Juliette balcony?  Go the whole hog and make one you can walk out onto and sit out there on a pleasant evening. That's what we are doing. Eventually.  Until then we have the "suicide door" from our bedroom.

Juliette balconies would not have got past planning in our last local authority, big windows were fine.  Do you want the pain of returning to planners for the amendment? 

A door removes the choice of placing furniture under the window.  

If is it your only “window” type area in a room, you will not want to leave the door open all night whereas a window you can leave open for more ventilation in the summer.

Just my initial thoughts

I was having french doors and a juliette balcony until someone suggested (on here I think) that I had full height windows with the bottom fixed and the tops on tilt or turn.  

If I had french doors there would be 2 layers of glass, the doors and the screen, (or the cheaper option of bars) obstructing the view, with all the faff and expense of buying and fitting.  You open the door and effectively you still have a fixed pane window and, if I leave the doors open then security is compromised.  With a fixed floor to screen height window topped with tilt and turns, there is only the single pane of glass and the windows can be securely left on tilt, so I can sleep safe in the knowledge that no intruder can get in through an open window.

Originally I was having a small inset balcony with the window set back - until it was discovered that no provision had been made for supporting the roof above this, and with other costs going through the roof the idea was abandoned.

Here you can see my bedroom door / window that will eventually open out onto the balcony once we build it.

render_13.thumb.jpg.993d6da96df457b1e6f56472056177f2.jpg

You can see we have a normal window next to the door so that can be opened just like any other window.

Also the fully glazed door lets us see down to the burn from the bedroom easily.

4 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Now that she can walk around upstairs, (yes, I've popped the joists in roughly where they should be) Debbie wants a juliette balcony.

And I  am very aware of the perils of changing the design during the build. 

At this stage of the build, I think I could  easily pop the infrastructure for a glass screen juliette in front of the window opening (in this case our window is a door acting as a window). And of course the SE would need to sign it off.

But there will be some hidden gottchas here. Anyone care to argue why we shouldn't  have a go at putting one in? 

I mean isn't it as easy as resining some thumping great stainless steel threaded bar in the concrete , and then screwing the glass to the bar?

If it is a door in window mode, then surely you need a safety something across the opening on the outside anyway to stop you falling out and landing on your bonce?

That IS a Juliet balcony. 

If for some reason you do not have one, then a Juliet balcony as in a grill to stop you falling out  would normally be permitted development as long as it had no floor. I think the other test is that it must be within 150mm of the face of the wall. You would not even normally need PP for a new window unless there was potential overlooking ie on the side.

This point may be nullified by your being in a National Park Iirc (?), but in principle you could perhaps just add it afterwards in most situations.

I think that is all right, but I am open to challenge.

@Prodave the advantage of a Juliet balcony has always seemed to me to be that the balcony space is inside your house so you get to have the floor space all year, rather than on the Perhaps 7% of days where the weather is OK. But that argument does not hold against a cantilevered balcony, just vs one of those that is recessed into the building.

F

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Here you can see my bedroom door / window that will eventually open out onto the balcony once we build it.

render_13.thumb.jpg.993d6da96df457b1e6f56472056177f2.jpg

You can see we have a normal window next to the door so that can be opened just like any other window.

Also the fully glazed door lets us see down to the burn from the bedroom easily.

Pond and a plank, like Bluebeard.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

That IS a Juliet balcony. 

[...]

Oh what a stupid Bear-With-A-Small-Brain I am. Thats what tiredness does to you: obscures the obvious.

Both our bedrooms have windows (tilt and turn - thanks to Craig at Gaulhofer [Ecowin] for suggesting it) that are also doors. Now that @Ferdinand has pointed out that I can (might be expected to) install the fall-prevention  outside  the house  the doors could easily form access to a juliette balcony.  Otherwise called fall prevention.....  Duhhhhhhhh.

Better break out the stainless threaded bar and the resin pronto.

• Like 2

Having been of slight help to a member of the community, I am cashing in my right to make a horrible pun. ?

Twas in a restaurant they met

Romeo and Juliet

Having no cash to pay the debt

Romeo'd what Juliet.

Ref Chivers Jelly Bumper Book of Fun, in my possession when I was about 7. I hope to remain about 7, except for the uh-hum.

F

Edited by Ferdinand