sealant application without a gun

Well done on giving it a go @lizzie. What sort did you use? The guy that came to do mine clearly used a cheap shite white one that has discoloured already and started to unbond. Not sure whether I should use a colour or clear in the gap between the white shower tray and cream tiles. The grout colour is Jasmine. I have some Mapei jasmine silicone so am wondering whether to use that but see CT1 and Forever White keep being mentioned so I'm confused lol 

@newhome this is my latest one. It has a built in applicator which is ‘easy’ to use, well it is easy compared to a gun and I practiced on cardboard for a few days and did really well but it went to pot when I got onto the job proper.  I used clear for mine as that is best in the location I have. I saw the £80 lot used cheapest screwies stuff although it was clear as I had specified it had to be clear.

Such a small job has turned into a mammoth task feel so bloody useless!

3C9DEC0A-CA69-4022-8A6A-3031CD091C3A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So I failed the water test. Thought I had cracked it but post shower cleaning down the screen with the squegee and a small amount of water appeared on my test paper the other side of the glass. I had an extra long shower with none appearing so go figure!

Its a better result than professionals got though much less water so not feeling too despondent. When I can get the mental energy to start scraping it all off again will have another go meantime back to the sponge in the corner.

12 minutes ago, Vijay said:

worth putting talc powder or flour over the area to see exactly where it leaks from? Or possibly UV dye so you can trace the leak exactly??

You're thinking of the trick with a fat bird...

• Haha 1

I will have to use more sophisticated test methods, thanks for the suggestions.

The weird thing is I had a really long shower and no leak at all it was only the cleaning the water off the glass screen that caused the seepage so maybe the fixing as you say...as suggested will try a smear across the top of it tomorrow and see what happens

28 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I will have to use more sophisticated test methods, thanks for the suggestions.

The weird thing is I had a really long shower and no leak at all it was only the cleaning the water off the glass screen that caused the seepage so maybe the fixing as you say...as suggested will try a smear across the top of it tomorrow and see what happens

It's suggesting it's directional.

I assume you get low with the handset for cleaning the shower? 

Have an issue here with the upstairs en suite shower tray. If my daughter showers I'll occasionally get drips coming down into the cupboard of the new bathroom. Most likely she's not too careful about pulling the shower curtain across and the water goes outside and under the tray. Can't really stand in there whilst she's showering to find the leak! Could be to do with the time she spends in there too. Wish she'd bloody clean up too, it's like Cousin It's been in there!

When the wife showers it doesn't happen.

Can't wait to rip the en suite out! 

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1