sealant application without a gun

@Nickfromwales for the numpty guide...... much  needed guidance  and @newhome for asking ....I was wondering the very same.

@Construction Channel I have a gadget for silicone lurking somewhere... supposed to help make nice even line, had it years, never used it. Must have bought it in a mad moment when the shoe shop was shut ???will find it and put it to work thank you for the tip.

8 hours ago, lizzie said:

@Nickfromwales for the numpty guide...... much  needed guidance  and @newhome for asking ....I was wondering the very same.

@Construction Channel I have a gadget for silicone lurking somewhere... supposed to help make nice even line, had it years, never used it. Must have bought it in a mad moment when the shoe shop was shut ???will find it and put it to work thank you for the tip.

Masking tape is you friend.

Don’t leave it on, it must be removed immediately after tooling / finishing / dressing the silicone.

A cup of water and baby wipes are essentials, and always wet your finger before attempting to smooth. 

Smooth the excess over onto the masking, and peel away when happy. Once peeled the silicone edges will fray slightky, so one more wet finger or wetted tool run should finish the job nicely. 

Maybe a practice run on some scrap first would be best to get you ‘fully trsined’ ;)  

• Thanks 1

To add my tuppence worth. I have a Cramer Fugi 5 piece kit which I use for siliconing. The only place I have found it tricky to use is if I'm trying to do a basin behind a tap.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/cramer-fugi-applicator-kit-5-piece-711919

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBT3kvbocbc

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all - update on this issue.

I  tried the no gun silicones and I was hopeless I got it everywhere and it still leaked.  Found a local tradesperson to come and redo (cost of £80) they came they did, it leaked, they came back did again, leaked again, ditto for 3rd time. 

I have spent hours trying to scrape off all the many layers of silicone that have now built up so I can get it back to bare bones and start again.  I have been using WD40 to soften it before scraping, its taken hours over last 2 days but I am on the home stretch now.  Question is do I try again myself and risk making a big mess again and have to go through the cleaning off process again, get the £80 lot back for a 4th time or try and find someone new to come and start from the cleaned area.

How something so small can cause such major headaches is a lesson.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Triassic said:

How are you going to get rid of the WD40 residue as  that’ll stop the silicone sticking when you redo it.

scrubbed it off with kichen cleaner and rinsed clean then dried it off now looking for my extension lead to get the hairdryer in there per @Nickfromwales previous suggestion

The wife and I used a Geocel silicon eater years ago to remove the stuff around a bath. Small room, poor ventilation. Evil stuff. I got it in cut and it bled for days. The wife came on early I kid you not! Tried and failed to get the COSHH sheets for it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Before you do anything @lizziecan you post a pic of the offending area? Odd thtt its still leaking, would be useful to see the area. My glass screen goes into a u channel, which needs sealed as well as the underside of the u channel. Just in case you are chasing your tail a bit. 

here are pics I think it is coming under the bit where there is no channel....thats how it was fitted its not been changed.  Leak only started in January and have been using shower every day for more that 6 months, I thought I had been too vigourous with the cleaning.....I can see from close up pics I still have more work to do on (clear) silicone removal....the joys of varifocals!

Not sure £80 lot had properly cleaned and dried area as their stuff lifted easily with my fingernail in places.

8655AEE1-DB7A-4EA5-A7C5-C563EE671C29.jpeg

869C808E-168D-4F94-9A0D-8A24342F8B89.jpeg

6BC92C5D-D448-4DF3-8CB7-240055AA1253.jpeg

I would have expected the channel at the bottom to go right to the end of the glass. It looks like there is indeed a gap underneath. Maybe cut out the raggedy bits of silicone and (as per the Fugi bloke) clean up with meths before reapplying.

I haven't noticed a bracket like that on a shower screen before.

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I would have expected the channel at the bottom to go right to the end of the glass. It looks like there is indeed a gap underneath. Maybe cut out the raggedy bits of silicone and (as per the Fugi bloke) clean up with meths before reapplying.

I haven't noticed a bracket like that on a shower screen before.

yes I thought that about the channel never noticed before. The stetson wearing second fixers againLOL Its a porcelanosa screen same bracket top and bottom had the identical one in previous house 5 years no problems.AAD72053-79CD-46B2-BBA0-6DBFF3AE0B84.thumb.jpeg.8b18729837aec8d33f279abaf1e487e0.jpeg

2 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

As an aside, the bracket - should it be inside the showering area? Id have thought the L should be to the outside? Just wondering if water will be getting through the bracket itself? 

The other half of the L is outside, I think this has be inside....... looks the way its designed.  I had six months plus with no leak so fairly sure its that gap where the channel stops short and the silicone has come away. I never noticed it before, I’m sure the channel in my previous one came right to the end. Might call in the showroom and check next time I’m passing. Unfortunately 2nd fix plumbing was not great and some had to be redone but this shower channel stopping short was not something obvious until now.

Edited by lizzie