sealant application without a gun

Can anyone point me at silicone that comes with some sort of integral gun?  Is there such a thing?

I need to replace the clear silicone in the bottom corner of my glass shower screen the water is coming underneath and spreading across the floor.  Think my cleaning has been too vigorous.

I bought a gun but I can't use it, my hands are too bad and finding a local handyman is like looking for a hen with teeth.

Have googled but can't find what I need so any pointers gratefully received.

Worth a try? Not sure if heating it before applying will make it easy to apply? Will still need squeezed but maybe easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Sealant-Clear-Waterproof-70g/dp/B0036GEK9W 

I would also say that in terms of applicator guns, the Heavy Duty ones are the best, require significantly less effort. We have two, and I can barely use the 'standard' one. It's too hard even for me. I used this one as well which is actually quite good too. https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-foil-and-cartridge-applicator-gun/133fr 

• Thanks 2

@jamiehamy thank you that looks just the job...I'm not clear on the heating bit but will see when it comes. EDIT just got the heating comment...yes good idea thank you

My problem with the gun (s) (have bought 3 different ones) is that I have arthritis in my hands and I just cant make them - hands or guns - work.

Edited by lizzie

Interesting on the same Amazon page they have clear threshold strips for wetrooms....maybe I should get some of those to fill in the gaps under my window level thresholds that are still 10mm off the ground and accumulating all sorts of rubbish underneath whilst we are waiting for a solution. 

I am being serious......

11 minutes ago, Vijay said:

They do battery powered ones but I suppose you have to weigh up the cost vs how many times you'll use it. Saying that, if you were going to pay for a tradesperson to do it, that could cost you more ;)

got a link? I have ordered the  clear from amazon but would still be interested in a gun for other stuff

36 minutes ago, newhome said:

Looks like you need to buy the same make as batteries you already have. This is without batteries 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=352179080582&category=168798&pm=1&ds=0&t=1540446110000&ver=0&cspheader=1

eek thats a lot ££’s ... I have different batteries in lawnmower etc cant remember brand offhand....now remembered Bosch is what I have in battery tools

Edited by lizzie

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I thought id seen these. Back of the net

Confused.com now. Is it the 'back of the net' link (looks like this has a nozzle rather than the Amazon one in a tube)? Is a nozzle likely to be easier to use than a tube of stuff? 

19 minutes ago, lizzie said:

eek thats a lot ££’s ... I have different batteries in lawnmower etc cant remember brand offhand....now remembered Bosch is what I have in battery tools

I looked on YouTube. Looks like quite a thing to hold and aim straight. Don't think it's the thing for arthritic hands TBH unless you have great biceps :) ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

Confused.com now. Is it the 'back of the net' link (looks like this has a nozzle rather than the Amazon one in a tube)? Is a nozzle likely to be easier to use than a tube of stuff? 

I’ve ordered the Amazon tube and going to look at B&Q nozzles tomorrow.......a girl can never have too many options when it comes to sealant????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I’ve ordered the Amazon tube and going to look at B&Q nozzles tomorrow.......a girl can never have too many options when it comes to sealant????

It's just like shoes - you can never have too many different choices :D ? ? ??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

A numpty question from me

We would expect nothing else ;) 

All depends if there's just gaps to fill back in, and the original stuff is in good repair TBH. Main thing is that it is DRY, as silicone will not take to anything wet. Best to dry it by blasting it with a hair drier for a good 5-10 mins, and then leave to cool right off. Dry the majority with kitchen roll first.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

We would expect nothing else ;) 

All depends if there's just gaps to fill back in, and the original stuff is in good repair TBH. Main thing is that it is DRY, as silicone will not take to anything wet. Best to dry it by blasting it with a hair drier for a good 5-10 mins, and then leave to cool right off. Dry the majority with kitchen roll first.

Thanks. Someone has to be the token numpty, may as well be me :)

It's the stuff the twat handyman put in. It's going black and peeling off in the corner of the shower tray (thank Christ I only got him to do one bathroom). Guess that means I should scrape it out? I don't know if he scraped out what was there before mind ... Bet he used stuff from the pound shop! 

might be worth looking into a set of silicone formers as well,

running a nice even bead can be easy sometimes, but if you mess it up these make it loads easier to sort out.

they make the job a LOT less stressful! 

you wont need a set that big, but a single one will probably cost at least £2-3 at a merchants, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

It's the stuff the twat handyman put in. It's going black and peeling off in the corner of the shower tray (thank Christ I only got him to do one bathroom). Guess that means I should scrape it out? I don't know if he scraped out what was there before mind ... Bet he used stuff from the pound shop! 

Go all out and start afresh ;) 

Get a silicone removal tool, score the silicone first with a Stanley knife to get things moving, ( don't scratch the tiles ), and then get a silicone remover such as CT1 multisolve / other.

A few applications will see the old silicone dissolve and go to mush, and with repeated applications the old shit will all be off and you'll have a blank canvass. Labour of love though im afraid. 

Start up high so the product works as it descends, and don't let it sit on any rubber seals ( mask off if unavoidable ).  

• Thanks 1