Drain ownership and right to access.

Dee J

Related to our workshop and conversion possibilities. Our workshop land has a drain running through it (150mm at about 600mm depth with a chamber and an inspection point). It connects to the public sewer in the road. This drain serves two adjacent properties. Is this likely to be classified as a public drain that we can connect to? If so would that be by request to southwest water?

Dee 

As I understand it, any drain which has more than one connection is adopted by the drainage authority, so this would be included in that.  Request a sewer plan (small fee required).  You will need to fill out the form from Southwest Water for a new connection.  From what you say, this would be via a new manhole which you would build to their standard spec.  As it is on private land you do not need to use a streetworks approved firm to do it.  If you plan to build over or near the drain a further approval may be needed.

• Like 2

Best thing to do is contact southwest water and they will tell you if they own it or not.

For my new build I applied to Scottish Water to connect to the public drain. They advised me that they don't currently own the sewer that I wanted to connect to and that I would need to get permission from the company that does own it. For data protection they couldn't tell me who does won it.

Turned out that it was still owned by the house builder that had built a large number of house next to my new build. The are currently in the process of transferring ownership to Scottish water, however they won't let me connect until the transfer is complete :(. I was told this in May last year and the transfer still isn't complete.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Foul drain or surface water? ...........

Foul drain. At the moment the building only has electricity connected. Water and foul drainage would be very 'convenient'.