And we are in....unless you are the building inspector...

So we have unofficially moved in to our selfbuild, it has been a long process and we are not quite finished but only have one bedroom and it’s ensuite to finish... and all the landscaping. Everywhere else is painted, carpeted, furnished etc

However.... I have only just submitted for a temporary inhabitation (Scotland) as we do have a few outstanding things and our landscaping was put on our plans by the council so we should manage to include that in our VAT return so want to hold off on the completion certificate. The building inspector is coming on Friday, it’s a bit hard to hide the fact we are living here, what’s the likelihood of punishment for doing so and what’s the likely punishment?! 

He visited us in November and we were not in then but we told him we planned to stay with in-laws nearby, think he would go easy on me if I explained it was more of a safety issue if we had stayed with them haha

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If he reads this site he'll know already! :)

Well it’s not like our house is my avatar picture and the area is in my account profile for all to see ??

i think a good few of us would be in trouble if our building inspectors read our posts ?

My BCO came across some of my posts on GBF just searching for other building-related stuff.

Since you only moved in over the Christmas break (didn't you? ?) and have booked the inspection for the temporary habitation certificate as early in the New Year as you could I really can't see them getting excited about it. If you were taking the wee wee, living there for months, they might be a bit annoyed. Maybe you'll get a letter reminding you you shouldn't have or something. Most likely they'll just be happy to start charging you council tax, possibly wanting to back date that.

15 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

I never really considered that this could be a problem.  We moved in in June and notified the local council so we could get wheelie bins and start the council tax ball rolling, and had BC completion inspection yesterday! 

I don't think they care TBH as long as you are paying council tax. Other than that they don't seem bothered. I haven't seen evidence of anyone on here who has moved in without a completion certificate (or temp habitation certificate) and has had hassle from the council about lack of certification. 

• 2 weeks later...

He has been and gone ? didn’t seem too bothered, I’d already had the council tax assessor out so maybe that helped show we weren’t trying to dodge any payments. We should have had the building inspector earlier but I decided last minute to have our stair spindles powder coated so the took longer and I reckoned they would frown on an open stairway ?