Ok, so contracts exchanged on our dilapidated bungalow fairly soon.

As we are then going to be sitting around whilst architects, planners etc do their thing I am wondering if there is a way to stop the liability of council tax on the property?

It will initially be classed as a "holiday home" and taxed at the applicable rate as a second dwelling, which it is not.

Is there a department that can be approached for reassessment or a method of rendering the property unclassified?

It is bad enough having to pay double stamp duty for the same reasons!!

The VOA removed our bungalow from the list after we had the electricity supply disconnected. At that time we had already disconnected the water supply and removed the bathroom and kitchen. We sent evidence in the form of photographs and certificates. Just to add that we already had planning approval.

Edited by PeterStarck

No, nobody came out as far as we are aware. They seemed happy enough with what we sent. I'm guessing the electricity disconnection certificate was the main evidence they accepted because the listing was removed on that date.

This was a timely topic, so thanks EverHopefull for asking.  I was just searching for this kind of info.

Drat!

As we have planning conditions we need to meet and get signed off before we are allowed to allow the ground workers on site with any bulldozer or whatever, I had hoped to get the council tax stopped sooner.

DHDreamer