Timber frame company fined for fire and traffic offences

ProDave

Full article here. http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/timber-frame-firm-fined-for-fire-safety-and-traffic-offences/

Some interesting snippets:

.... has been fined £100,000 for running an unsafe timber-frame construction site

.....Fifty-four timber-frame houses were under construction, which carry a serious fire risk if not planned or managed properly, as the structures are made from wood. If a fire starts, the speed and intensity of fire spread can be extreme – putting workers and even members of the public at risk of harm.

.......HSE found that measures to prevent a fire starting and getting out of control had not been properly taken. All the houses were under construction at broadly the same stage with little fire protection, a lack of site management control, insufficient means to detect a fire and raise the alarm, poor control of ignition sources and a general lack of emergency planning.

......“Timber-frame houses are perfectly safe once they’re finished and protected, but when under construction they can be very dangerous. Stringent fire-safety standards need to be in place well before the build starts, and then maintained and monitored

Okay, just what were they supposed to have done? installed a fire alarm and sprinkler in the part built houses?

I have worked on many timber framed houses and apart from workers doing the obvious things to take care (blowlamps being the most obvious risk) just exactly what did they fail to do?

• Like 1

Agreed Dave, I worked in Denver Colorado for 3 years and 99% of houses are timber frame and constructed in very very dry conditions. On site workers just used common sense when it came to safety and naked flames of any kind being used. The timber was treated to help slow combustion if it did occur.

This may have been petty bureaucracy gone mad, or there may have been some underlying valid concerns that triggered this action.  We just don't know and we can't guess. 

What I have observed and continue to observe is that there is a prevalent culture in the building industry -- certainly amongst all of the crews that have worked on my site -- to ignore sensible HS and use of PPE.  I really just can't understand why this is case.  Why do building workers seem to have a wish to be deaf, have crappy lungs and eye problems in their later years?  A few examples that irritate me or have irritated me:

• The frame erection crew was working on our second floor around the unguarded staircase void which was a 5m drop onto a concrete slab.  I had to insist that they put up a temporary safety rail.
  • Our builder's scaffolder has no concept of safety on access paths -- unprotected bolts and poles sticking out dangerously.  Most of these could be avoided with 10 seconds thought or at least mitigated with protection, but no: 10 seconds of brain-work and 30 seconds of extra effort is an ask too far.
  • I've asked for clear access paths to be kept to and from our build and around it, and when I turn around there's a new bag of graded stone in the middle of one -- it was a convenient space to use, so why not use it?
  • Cutting and hammering without ear defenders, eye protection or dust masks.

I could go on but I'll leave it to others to give examples.  I don't know about spreading culture in the building trade but I do within the IT industry.  You can't to this by taking punitive measures against the workers on the ground; you have to have to do this top down with firm consistency and continuous education.    

In the case of a large scale timber construction, it has specific issues / risks that need to be addressed:

• proper fire compartmentalisation across the site;
  • proper enforcement of practices which minimise fire risk
  • being a JiT style-operation, there needs to be clear storage and movement policies for framing components, etc.;
  • being a rapid build technology, workers can quickly end up working at height, so height and fall safely need to be integrated into the working practices;
  • ditto use of heaving lifting gear / cranes.

As I say, we just don't know in this case, but I do think there are lots of areas where I could see a poor management and safety culture resulting in H&SE action.

• Like 1

All

Certainly not a trivial or petty issue. Accidental fires (arson, bad practice or pure accident) in part complete TF buildings have been a problem for some time and recognised by TRADA and UKTFA (now Structural Timber Association, STA). All brought to a head in 2006 with a fire in a built-up area of N London involving a part complete 6 storey TF building.

In 2008, the UKTFA, in consultation with fire brigade and HSE released the '16 Step to Fire Safety' book which in turn was adopted as official guidance by the HSE. Aimed at larger schemes rather than single dwellings there is the guide, the 'SiteSafe' practices guidance and a registration scheme for projects over 2500m2 total floor area. Unfortunately all this guidance looks to be available to UKTFA/STA members only (see STA website). I'm not a member but was involved in some of the fire testing for different types of TF panel.

ian

Fire extinguisher, not store flammable items in the building, no hot works in the afternoon. No smoking in the build. Keep the place clean and tidy, it is often rubbish that burns first. Make sure you keep local kids out as they are the most likely cause of fires.

I worked on a timber frame build where the fire brigade was called by neighbours as some rags that had linseed oil on self combusted over the weekend. Fortunately they were in a barrel, but it shows how easily fires can start.

Hi ProDave

Sorry but I do not have the docs refered to. From memory a lot was common sense! No/minimal hot works, no smoking site, site security against arson, sensible/separate storage of combustible materials (polystyrene or similar insulation), ongoing checks and inspections to look for potential problem areas, emergency escape routes/plan, site fire safety plan keep a tidy site. Sorry can only manage 8 of the 16!

A quick google however gives this - hope the link works.

http://regions.aps.org.uk/visageimages/Documents/PDFs/regional_cpd/Northern_England/16_steps_to_timber_frame_fire_safety.pdf

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADLIan said:

Hi ProDave

Sorry but I do not have the docs refered to. From memory a lot was common sense! No/minimal hot works, no smoking site, site security against arson, sensible/separate storage of combustible materials (polystyrene or similar insulation), ongoing checks and inspections to look for potential problem areas, emergency escape routes/plan, site fire safety plan keep a tidy site. Sorry can only manage 8 of the 16!

A quick google however gives this - hope the link works.

http://regions.aps.org.uk/visageimages/Documents/PDFs/regional_cpd/Northern_England/16_steps_to_timber_frame_fire_safety.pdf

Ian

Thanks, that's a useful link. Most of it is common sense, though step 7 does appear to demand a fire detection system in a part built timber framed building.

I am going to segue this topic a little and turn it around to the scenario that most of the self-builders on this forum face: what steps should self builders take to minimise fire risk on their own builds?

I would suggest as a starter:

• Have a clear set of rules for all tradesmen working in the building, and post work checks, for example:
  • No naked flame or other flammable-level heating on-site without a permit to work and second-person safety checks (e.g. misting down all surfaces before and after work by a second person, plus follow-up check)
  • Clear rules for storage of flammables (e.g. off-build), and removal of flammables off site (including wood swarf from hole-drilling).
  • On-site immediate action mechanisms including suitable fire extinguisher (any recommendations?  Perhaps one of these on each landing during the build) and safety blanket.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed all the new housing developments in my local area are using brick and block construction. This wasn't the case a few years ago. 

I wonder if if this is one of the reasons why?

• 1 month later...

That's a shiver down the spine for any self builder. 

Brings a certain validity to this thread, that's for sure. When I worked on the ships, one hard and fast rule was no hot works whatsoever for the last 60 mins prior to site being unmanned. Smouldering fires ( or fires caused by smouldering ) were the no.1 problem as most hot works caused heat instead of fire. 

This thread has a lot of value IMHO, and should make all self builders sit up and pay very close attention to the content, and subsequences of not observing them . ;)