Holiday let house in top of garage - idea

38 minutes ago, janelondon said:

Good point - thank you!

What you do after the reclaim is completely is down to you of course but ensure that your PP doesn't mention anything business related as there have been cases of refusals from HMRC on that basis. You might get away with it but due to the well into 5 figure amounts that the reclaim is generally worth it's best not to risk it IMO. Unless you are totally turnkey so the VAT reclaim would be negligible. Have a read of this thread as it provides a bit of context. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Be careful not to badge your build as commercial in case this leads to a refusal of the VAT reclaim. 

Yup. 

Grab the vat, then convert. 

Without commercial gain you don’t get the commercial ( called non-domestic ) RHI, which is a lower rate but 20 years vs 7 for higher rate domestic. 

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. 

Grab the vat, then convert. 

Without commercial gain you don’t get the commercial ( called non-domestic ) RHI, which is a lower rate but 20 years vs 7 for higher rate domestic. 

I think you guys just helped me dodge a bullet with our first build which we are planning to do a VAT claim on!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, newhome said:

ensure that your PP doesn't mention anything business related as there have been cases of refusals from HMRC on that basis

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Grab the vat, then convert

Thanks for the tips! Haven't even started building but I reckon buildhub has already saved me several £££!

Ps @newhome I have also read and re-read your vat thread - so useful.

• Like 2

@Nickfromwales will know more much about the non domestic RHI scheme than me but I imagine timing the installation and getting the right equipment installed may be key to the convert. For a domestic installation you need to apply within 12 months of the system being commissioned. Not sure if there is a time limit for non domestic. So potentially you'd need to get PP for a domestic property, installation of eligible equipment, VAT reclaim, PP application for conversion to business use (presumably), and then RHI non domestic application O.o

where premises comprise a main property and adjoining property or properties 
(such as annexes, gatehouses, workers cottages etc.) which are themselves treated as self-
contained units for Council Tax banding
, each of these buildings is likely to be treated as 
‘single self-contained’ premises for RHI purposes. Therefore, if each is ‘used wholly or 
mainly as a private residential dwelling where the fabric of the building has not been 
significantly adapted for non-residential use’, each will be treated as a separate ‘domestic 
premises’ under the Non-Domestic RHI

From attached Ofgem's guide to non-domestic RHI, para 4.40.

Haven't read through the whole document, but it seems that where you have separate council tax bandings (as in my case for house + cottage), you can retain the "domestic" nature of both properties without needing to apply for PP for conversion to business use, and still be eligible for non-domestic RHI, subject to fulfilling the other requirements.

BTW this factsheet also states on page 2 that if your main house and annex/outbuilding are supplied by a renewable heating system and have separate EPCs, then you may not be eligible for domestic RHI!

guidance_volume_1_v5_publish_0.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janelondon said:

where you have separate council tax bandings (as in my case for house + cottage), you can retain the "domestic" nature of both properties without needing to apply for PP for conversion to business use, and still be eligible for non-domestic RHI, subject to fulfilling the other requirements.

That seems good from an RHI perspective but how do you plan to structure your build? Your VAT reclaim will need to be for a single house and they may ask you what you intend to do with the second property covered by the PP at the VAT reclaim stage bearing in mind the VAT reclaim must be for a house you or your family intend to live in or holiday in. They asked me as my PP covered 2 properties although the plot was split and I only owned 1 so a different scenario. 

My point was if you purposefully intend to rent an annex, b&b or holiday let etc, then you would ( iirc ) need to do a ‘district’ heating system that supplies the buildings with heat and hot water.

One system that is eligible for ND not a few individual systems gauged on their own circumstances / merit. 

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

One system that is eligible for ND not a few individual systems gauged on their own circumstances / merit. 

My advisor said that we can have two ASHP - as long as they are fed on one power supply. Each unit can have it's own separate meter to tally up usage.

10 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

In that you presumably supply the meters?

Correct. I'm a little concerned now that the commercial RHI ASHP arrangement and my log cabin which is for rental will interfere with my parents VAT re-claim on their lodge which is purely for their own use and retirement.

21 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

So secondary metering after the main meter. 

Still a district system if it’s from one billing meter ? 

Yes that's correct, we have access to another 100 amp main fuser and meter. We install it's own split phase supply just fot the ASHP's and one goes to one property and one to the next. Each has it's own domestic hot water tank.

I have a call with her scheduled for Monday So will be interesting to see prices.

• Like 1

Can’t your parents get their lodge finished and the reclaim done before you do the RHI application? Assume the lodge is completely separate, mentions nothing about rental or business in the PP at all, and can be sold separately from anything else? 

• 4 years later...