Grading crushed rubble

Gone West

I want to grade my crushed rubble manually through a 50mm sieve. I was thinking along the lines of a 600mm by 600mm  riddle with a 50mm welded steel mesh base hanging on a frame which allows it to swing. I haven't been able to find anything like it or even find steel mesh offcuts, at a sensible price, so I could have a go at making one. Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, willbish said:

Have you got a machine handy? You could hire a riddle bucket

No I don't have. I will be doing this job over quite a long period of time and I would like to be able to use the same riddle later on for screening our garden soil.

I'll look in the garage in a bit. Might have a piece.

If not P & W Nash at Hoo ask for Stuart. He'll be able to supply mesh in various sizes, cut to size, galvanised if required. Tell him I put you onto him ;)

The BiL made a reciprocating sieve that sits atop his dumper. Slide rails, motor with a cam. Will try and get a pic tomorrow.

Rotating drum types good for soil mainly. 

Get on Pinterest and have a look there for ideas.

• Like 1

Only got this bit. Nominal 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" so about 35x35 through the hole - too small I assume. Not taken a vernier to it but looks about 4mm dia rod. Guessing about 6'x4'. Red oxide painted. Will happily dig it out.

20190105_173955.thumb.jpg.b97ca89441ba2822810f08478307d55a.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Only got this bit. Nominal 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" so about 35x35 through the hole - too small I assume. Not taken a vernier to it but looks about 4mm dia rod. Guessing about 6'x4'. Red oxide painted. Will happily dig it out.

Thanks Clive but the grid size is a bit small for what I want. I'll try P & W Nash as you suggested. I saw a wheeled one on Youtube which has given me an idea.

At a project I know they grade bark and have a number of drums made up in different grades or sizes

think of a hamster wheel only bigger and made of grid like mesh

one bloke shovels it in another turns the wheel and the graded stuff gets bagged and sold

this is a project for adults with learning disabilities 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As an update, what we did in the end was as simple as possible, surprise, surprise. We bought some 2.4 x 1.2m 50mm mesh, laid it over some 50 x50mm timbers for support and riddled it by hand. We started in the middle of January and finished a few days ago. We have been doing it every day except when it rained and when there was a bitterly cold wind. I've been shovelling and Wendy riddling. All the larger than 50mm rubble we put in a telehandler bucket and the farmer took it. We started with around 40 tonnes and the farmer took around 11 tonnes. The only good things I can say about the process is that it has saved us a lot of money and kept us fit.

A1010010.thumb.JPG.1d281a6a12ffd7a7e869b68b82eb4310.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

As an update, what we did in the end was as simple as possible, surprise, surprise. We bought some 2.4 x 1.2m 50mm mesh, laid it over some 50 x50mm timbers for support and riddled it by hand. We started in the middle of January and finished a few days ago. We have been doing it every day except when it rained and when there was a bitterly cold wind. I've been shovelling and Wendy riddling. All the larger than 50mm rubble we put in a telehandler bucket and the farmer took it. We started with around 40 tonnes and the farmer took around 11 tonnes. The only good things I can say about the process is that it has saved us a lot of money and kept us fit.

A1010010.thumb.JPG.1d281a6a12ffd7a7e869b68b82eb4310.JPG

You two are very dedicated. You are not related to the Wombles are you?

Only just seen this thread.... I have riddled soooo much gravel in my life....I mean literally hundreds of tons.....life as a remote area walking track builder.......  we make frames like what you have but put it at an angle, chuck spade fulls at it and the big stuff rolls down and the small stuff falls through. Good on you both. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you have the time and a pile of old pallets to burn, you can heat big lumps of concrete to 200C and then they crumble when you hit them with a sledge hammer. Very satisfying!

• Like 1