Anyone have the MBC open panel 140mm wall system?

Dreadnaught

31 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How have mbc priced this ?

I have a mere single ticket price for the whole shebang, no breakdown.

32 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Who pays for the crane ?

They do. I pay for scaffolding but they provide a specification.

As always @Russell griffiths, plenty of food for though there …

5 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Note their contract terms on damage caused and be on site the whole time to monitor it.

Good point. Will look out for that.

6 minutes ago, lizzie said:

If MBC are sugesting the alternative wall then maybe they are not confident in getting the other system down the narrow access. Have they made comment beyond the extra costs?

Not specifically no. Not yet.

14 minutes ago, lizzie said:

If MBC are sugesting the alternative wall then maybe they are not confident in getting the other system down the narrow access.

Just to be clear, its not them suggesting the alternative wall. Its my architect and I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I have a mere single ticket price for the whole shebang, no breakdown.

Same deal for us, five years ago.  MBC provided everything except the scaffolding, skips and toilet.  They organised the short wheelbase, long jib crane (drove all the way down here from Bristol) and measured up to make sure their artic could get down the very narrow lane (we had ~100mm of clearance either side at one point) and over the narrow bridge over the stream in front of our plot.  I warned the neighbours that we were going to block the (very) narrow single track lane for a few hours beforehand, and all were OK.  They shifted their cars out and parked them around the corner so they could get to them whilst we were faffing around getting the artic unloaded.

FWIW, our lane is just about 2.75 to 2.8m wide where that 2.55m wide truck is backing in, so not exactly a lot of room to spare.  The driver was damned good though, and made backing into that narrow space seem easy.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the crane into the site the evening before the truck arrived.  The front of the crane was up tight against the scaff around the house, the back of the crane was right up against the garage slab.  The crane managed to get up the 1:6 slope of our "drive" too...

• Thanks 1

@Dreadnaught MBC keep an eye on this forum so no doubt they will be head scratching and be onto you next week with a solution to the access....if they perceive it as a problem.  That will just leave you with decision on which wall to go for based on cost/benefit which I think is about where this started.....I hope you are now somewhat further forward in that process at least.

16 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

16 hours ago, TerryE said:

Even so, we don't regret this decision at all.

Oh, interesting. Why so when the U-values are comparable? Was it decrement delay and better sound insulation? Did you have a direct comparator to draw the comparison I wonder?

I did do a +/- comparison at the time, and which I've since chucked, but in the end it was for more intangible reasons really:

• One factor was (at the time) MBC had a lot more experience of twinwall construction for this U-value spec, and so our slab and TF were well in their comfort zone = less risk. 
  • The profile with its pumped cellulosic filler is intrinsically more air tight, less risk of voids and accidental bridging and better Ψ values.
  • The OSB3-racked pumped-cellulose construction profile is just more solid and has better racking strength, IMO; we have a warm loft giving us a three storey house, so this was quite important for me.
  • The high decrement delay factor is also a good bonus, IMO.  This is so high that we can effectively ignore the sidereal heat cycle in our worst case heating calcs. 

38 minutes ago, TerryE said:

I did do a +/- comparison at the time, and which I've since chucked, but in the end it was for more intangible reasons really:

• One factor was (at the time) MBC had a lot more experience of twinwall construction for this U-value spec, and so our slab and TF were well in their comfort zone = less risk. 
  • The profile with its pumped cellulosic filler is intrinsically more air tight, less risk of voids and accidental bridging and better Ψ values.
  • The OSB3-racked pumped-cellulose construction profile is just more solid and has better racking strength, IMO; we have a warm loft giving us a three storey house, so this was quite important for me.
  • The high decrement delay factor is also a good bonus, IMO.  This is so high that we can effectively ignore the sidereal heat cycle in our worst case heating calcs. 

Thanks. Makes eminent sense. As a bungalow, I suppose only bullet three is less relevant for me.

• 4 weeks later...

@Dreadnaught good luck with the planning permission. It's been too cold to pour the slab. We need 48 hours with the temperature not dropping below 5 degrees, so that's a lesson for doing foundations in the middle of winter. For now, the wall panels are holed up at the factory ?

• Thanks 1