Sensible rewire quotes

jayroc2k

I have had a couple of quotes for rewiring a Victorian 3 storey house in London. Quotes have been £9-11k which seems nuts, here are the basic spec:

- 4 bed rooms each with  2 way switches and 4 wall sockets per room, all single or double pendant light

- 1 receptions rooms, 4x wall sockets, 1x 2-way switches, 1 pendant light

- 1 extension rooms, 4x wall sockets, 1x 2-way switches, 6 spotlights

- 2 bathrooms, single light, switch, wall charger socket each

- new consumer unit (same location)

- usual extras like fire/smoke/carbon monoxide alarms

All basic MK One Logic spec (£2-£5 a piece).

The actual switches won't cost more than £500-£600, consumer unit is circa £100, spotlight £30-£50 each (6 units). So all in about £1-£1.2k on items (excepts wires), is labour really £7k+?

Anyone want to come to London, do the re-wire and visit Madame Tussauds on Sunday?

Get a couple more quotes, and if they are the same then the simple answer is yes thats what it costs. London prices, London traffic and parking nightmare and London property prices to go with it. Ask how long its going to take and how many guys, and then see if they can justify the day rate.

Thanks

Unfortunately, although it's free parking and London prices have started coming down (just see the number of "reduced on Zoopla not selling), I guess that does not translate to reduced builder pricing unless people start scaling back on renovations

:-(

I have just had a rough count and you have about 70 "points"  I normally allow 1 hour per point. So that's about 70 hours labour roughly.

So in order for the labour rate to really be coming in at £7K, then that means London rates are £100 per hour. That's 4 times what I charge, but I am a LONG way from London. To be honest, it would not surprise me if London rates really were that high.

Cost of building bears no relationship to the market value. I live somewhere where if you built a new high spec house I would be surprised if you could actually sell it for enough just to cover your costs.

• 1 year later...

I supplied materials for my recent one, and the surprise was the cost of smoke etc alarms, which came to about £200-250 for a 3 bed - - each room smoke plus heat for the kitchen and C0 for the boiler.

I went with the Aico hard wired units with Li backup batteries but no radio links.

F

Edited by Ferdinand