Where are all the CLS door lining kits

dnoble

Does anyone know of a source of door lining kits for 89/90mm planed CLS door openings in my MBC house?

Needs to be approx 120mm depth to accommodate plasterboard and skim.

In online and builders merchants they all seem to be 115 and 138mm deep. Wickes do one but out off stock (and reviews report they're well bendy!)

They need to be 838mm wide and 2058 high (2'9" by 6'9" in old money)

I know there'll be a carpentry work-around but it'b be convenient if there was an off the shelf thing

Dan

I fitted all my own linings on our MBC house.  This is a case of shopping around, online or local BMs.  The main issue that you will have is quality. We bought our liners in bulk from a local BM early and I then stacked them properly (horizontal with spacers) for over 6 months in our case, but there was still enough warping to be a PITA, so maybe consider the extra to get a decent slow growth redwood rather than the typical cheap but far grown pine.  MDF is no good since the linings will get knocked around through life and MDF just isn't knock resistant enough for this use, IMO.

Also remember that the quoted dimensions are nominal and the actual are typically 5mm less as a result of planing.

The other complication for us as that we used 12½mm plasterboard on most walls but the halls were a fire safety corridor and need 15mm pink plasterboard.  Hence the frames are not all the same depth.  I bought a fairly cheap planer-thicknesser and this was invaluable for truing up the board surfaces and planing to depth.

If I were ever to do a house load of doors again, then I wouldn't bother buying cheap liners, but instead go for decent grade planed wood.

You will end up routing all of the hinges, locks and keeps and some head mortices, so it is well worth spending a few hours making up the full routing jigs for these. 

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2019 at 11:47, TerryE said:

it is well worth spending a few hours making up the full routing jigs for these

I made up three, all of which used the same routing guide and bit:

• a three slot jig which I used for routing door hinges and the door liners.  Door hinges are traditionally cut asymmetrically, but I decided to centre my middle hinge and offset the top and bottom hinges by the same amount -- because of this the same three slot jig could be used for left and right hung doors and left and right liners.  I only had to remember to offset the top of the jig in the frame by the door head gap when cutting the frame hinge cut-outs, and I just used a 3mm spacer for this (or occasionally a 4mm if the liner head wasn't quite true).    You do need to get the spacing and dimension in making the jig accurate to better than ½mm. 
  • A dado jig for cutting the heads
  • A mortice jig for rebating the lock plates and keeps.

Just google youtube router jig door hinge etc. for example how-to videos.  As well as the router set, you will need a set of decent chisels and a sharpening system, and you will also find a Trend Corner Chisel pretty much essential.

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The timber frame company were going to be providing pre hung doors (door attached to lining/frame) and our joiners would have hung them. However i'm looking to save some money here as the internal doors (22 basic flush white doors 2040 x 926) , skirting (50 mm MDF), architraves and loft hatch are going to be £7,500.

I have started getting quotes for pre hung doors, however so far the quotes are £290 - 400 per door! I think on a DIY basis I can do it for £170 per door.

I have been looking into the following jigs for the hinges and the door handle + catch.

https://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/H_JIG_A/3/176/hinge_jig_two_part_in_case_.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dale-Hardware-JTP6000-JIGTECH-Professional/dp/B06XDQRF2Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1547836858&sr=1-7&keywords=pro+jig

I recently used this hinge jig from Toolstation to cut hinge rebates on 23 doors and linings (3 hinges per door). It worked very well and is much cheaper than the Trend referred to above. You just need to be careful to get the right size hinge as some are 4 inches and others are 102mm. The (small) difference is visible when the hinge is fitted if you get the wrong size.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

I recently used this hinge jig from Toolstation to cut hinge rebates on 23 doors and linings (3 hinges per door). It worked very well and is much cheaper than the Trend referred to above. You just need to be careful to get the right size hinge as some are 4 inches and others are 102mm. The (small) difference is visible when the hinge is fitted if you get the wrong size.

Which jig did you use?

I was going to buy a used Trend one on ebay.