How to dismantle stairs or strip paint

jayroc2k

I am trying to dismantle the stairs in a Victorian house so that the spindles and railings can be sent to a print stripping service (faster and not so expensive). The trouble is that I can see any screws and or nails and would not want to spend 2 months with a heat gun scrapping it down. Niether does the thought of ripping out and replacing appeal to me, feels wasteful to just replace them.

Any idea or thoughts

Stairs2.JPG

Stairs3.JPG

Sttairs1.JPG

Alas it might not be that simple. 

There is every chance that the rails are mortice and tennon into the newel posts. If you remove some paint from the sides you might be able to find the peg/dowel and drill it out but if it was glued as well you'll be swearing a lot. 

Spindles should have fillets holding them in place. Often just pinned in place but years of paint could see them set fast. 

Have be a look here for an idea of construction: http://www.wonkeedonkeerichardburbidge.co.uk/hallmark-stairs-instructions-traditional-method/

• Like 1

unfortunately Barney isn't wrong, removing those spindles without damaging them is unlikely to be an easy task. 

removing the top handrail may be doable without causing too much damage but you will more than likely have to cut the tenon off to avoid snapping the newel.

the lower hand rail is similarly awkward because of the way it is cut over the above string,

is anyone living in the house?, 

if not i would seriously consider sand blasting them

HTH Ed