Workshop conversion.

Dee J

So we own a workshop.... a two storey building of considerable age. It's street frontage has garage doors downstairs and a window above and a side passage to a small courtyard and an additional small outbuilding. Walls are a mix of stone and brick, some forming a party wall to an adjoining garage. Roof is corrugated cement fibre sheet. There is consent (gained on appeal) to demolish and replace, but for the moment we are contemplating converting the first floor to residential whilst retaining the garage/workshop downstairs. So questions that spring to mind. Insulating of floor and roof, fire rating of floor, replacing roof light glazing as well as the normal services, glazing, kitchen, bathroom etc. A chat with building control is on the horizon, but any advice is welcome. Btw, yes I have made a couple of posts about this project before, but it's moving up the likely list now.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

think you just said it all "demolish +replace"--to try to start changing it after it was got on appeal --sounds like problems 

I see where you're coming from, but from what I understand the objections were based on the factors of 'change of appearance' 'disruption of the demolition and building' and factors relating to placing two properties on the site. Hopefully a more subtle and less intrusive development may be better received... thought I do wonder what we could do to lock the existing planning in place if we need to cut and run. Perhaps something to count as 'starting' to the current plans (short of demolition). Does getting services on site count as starting?

Dee

My mate has a converted garage type warehouse 

instead of keeping downstairs as commercial he divided the building in two

left half commercial garage, right half two storey dwelling, this way he had less problems with noise fire regs and all other stuff

he has a house all his mates are envious of, massive garage big enough for 10 cars and walks 5passes to be back in his apartment in the centre of Melbourne 

pits probably worth a couple of million dollars as there was no chance of ever buying a residential plot that close to the city. 

9 hours ago, Dee J said:

I see where you're coming from, but from what I understand the objections were based on the factors of 'change of appearance' 'disruption of the demolition and building' and factors relating to placing two properties on the site. Hopefully a more subtle and less intrusive development may be better received... thought I do wonder what we could do to lock the existing planning in place if we need to cut and run. Perhaps something to count as 'starting' to the current plans (short of demolition). Does getting services on site count as starting?

Dee

nope --no such thing --your planning is what it says it is anything else and your in trouble--so you want to change it --put in another application complete with updated plans etc