(C)old stone cottage- orig floor insulate?

zoothorn

Ok, but you know the plan prior to installing it surely? Ive no idea how they work bar heated water being pumped around a 1/2" pipe set into the floor.

In your (anyone's) opinion- am I thinking wrong re. UFH for my one large room, if I have no Central Heating, or is it still a reasonable idea even so?

14 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok, but you know the plan prior to installing it surely? Ive no idea how they work bar heated water being pumped around a 1/2" pipe set into the floor.

In your (anyone's) opinion- am I thinking wrong re. UFH for my one large room, if I have no Central Heating, or is it still a reasonable idea even so?

Me, plan??? :):):)

Looking at it now. Seriously there's always been an interim plan to tap off the existing antiquated system.

Edited by Onoff

Ok nevermind. Im not getting anywhere here. I'll try & ask another way.

1) can someone please tell the basics of how a UFH system works for a single room situation. Anyone?

2) with regard to my possible plan to remove old floor & add: new base/ 25mm eps/ dpc/ PIR/ concrete slab. Considering I have no C.Heating: do you think UFH is a sensible &/ or feasable proposition to consider adding?

3) If anyone has any idea on what the -minimum- ammount of PIR I should be thinking of, Id appreciate their thoughts.

Any advice/ opinions/ anything at all appreciated, thanks. zoot.

You can have electric UFH that wouldn't need a boiler etc. but if you wanted wet UFH you would need some way of heating the water and how would you do that? I'm no expert so can't tell you how feasible that is but with no central heating currently that might be a problem.

PIR - I reckon the minimum you'd need is 100mm but many people put more in. Again I'm no expert but my house has less than that and I wish it had more. 

No CH. No back boiler (cannot surely entertain the idea of installing one, if it means a new stove + this system, so £2k min or so.. no idea if mine can have one added to/ whether it has room to, what this addition entails logistically if I could.. or what the general idea is either: rads off some sort of lump behind the stove?? another £2k in building work to create room & add if so, inc extensive plumbing work, rads? Ive no idea).

I got 1 electric rad total, in the kitchen (does little as so much cold it has to contend with). No heating upstairs bar a small £5 leccy fan heater.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

160mm pir insulation I'm guessing minimum?

Is the Q aimed at muggins here.. or meant for others' opinion Onoff?

If 160 min, & I guess 25mm eps is the min below (& I need eps as its good for/ if contact with any damp below.. & there -will- be some significant patches), then dpc, & 100mm concrete ontop.. again is that the sort of min figure for the top of my floor sandwich?

1 hour ago, newhome said:

+1. You have to get a decent heating system in there or you'll be cold forever. Insulation doesn't heat your home. What do other properties have in the vicinity? 

The few other old cottages- exactly same issues. Thats why they're left alone by locals/ cheap for engrish mugs.

Seriously, once I get the main room 'managed' in terms of insulation: I just mean a MAJOR step fwd as I'm realistically aiming to achieve with the floor job, rather than any optimal superfloor + PIR wall nirvana, & by stopping the cold flood down stairs by my upstairs rockwool job (next)... my stove should just suffice to heat the main room & 2 beds above (heat contained WAY better upstairs should be achievable). I'm not aiming for perfection, the morning cold & day are still to put up with esp upstairs.. but I should be just about fine!

I just don't agree with CH in a small'ish 2 small up / 1 big down cottage anywhere: its overkill. A good stove should suffice for these 3 rooms -plus- pushing decent-enough heat (once more contained in main room) into the kitchen from a stove fan.. with free wood means effectively my heating costs are 1 small leccy rad to run in the WC (the weak point/ freezing/ needs a ton of heat) & 1 in kitchen just AM. That's Super-Econo living. That's my aim.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I wonder if it's worth incorporating UFH pipes even if you have nothing to feed them yet...? Cheap and easy to do. Just need to bring the ends of the loop out somewhere convenient. 

Not worth considering electric UFH that could be connected up? 

The floor levels you note above @zoothorn seem about right as a rough guide but you need to decide whether to put wet UFH pipes in and leave unconnected until you decide you want a heating system or leave for the next owner to connect up. As @Onoff says it's easy and cheap to lay the pipes 'while you're at it' but wouldn't be worth digging the floor up again afterwards.

• 5 months later...

Hi Jilly- thanks for reply!! I didn't see this suggestion (I dipped out & got sidetracked on my kitchen redo).. sounds good idea/ Ive asked for some paperwork from them. hope yr enjoying the ospreys. cheers zoot