(C)old stone cottage- orig floor insulate?

zoothorn

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

It was a dell d600 (yup that old!). I took the HD out. But surely if put this in a caddy it still won't work-? (ie I cant see how the caddy would 'revive it')

Like I said what "action" did you get when the laptop died? Did the HDD whir or just keep ticking like it was stuck. See my edited post and confirm what type of drive. 

By putting in a caddy you may be able to view /copy the drive contents even if the OS on that drive is corrupt and stopping it booting up.

Edited by Onoff

Ok its a IDE one.

Dug out & fired up the old 'puter. Its sounds normal, a gentle whirring HDD.. but a black screen (no sign of -any- life) a 'Beep Beep' signifying summink amiss/ unusual beeps. And remains as is, Hdd & 'puter on.. screen black.

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok its a IDE one.

Dug out & fired up the old 'puter. Its sounds normal, a gentle whirring HDD.. but a black screen (no sign of -any- life) a 'Beep Beep' signifying summink amiss/ unusual beeps. And remains as is, Hdd & 'puter on.. screen black.

How many beeps / pauses? Generally means something.

You could try connecting to the tv or another screen with a VGA lead in case it's the screen. Then press Fn and F5 probably to connect to an external "monitor". 

If there's nothing on the screen at all at any time during the startup process then the fault is most likely with something other than the disk, which indicates that getting the data off via a caddy is worth a try.

Other thing I'd try, just to be sure, is booting off a USB drive or CD (e.g., the XP install CD if you have one). But with the screen totally blank I wouldn't be hopeful.

One of these would allow you to connect the HDD to another pc with ease. Probably even cheaper on Amazon etc. I'd lend you mine but for a fiver, postage would cost more!

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-rent/N029722W?

Another option is booting from a Live Linux CD.

Assume this only had a CD and not DVD drive.

Edited by Onoff

7 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

2 prominent beep-beeps, 20 secs after start up. Maybe a dadt Q but can I not just shove the hdd in my toshiba laptop/ swapsies/ one Im on now?

No. Aside from anything else your new one will likely be SATA. Might not be but still won't work.

Edited by Onoff

Will do. Just found an oddity. popped the dvd tray > in again, saw very very feintly some spiel 'f1 to continue' on the balck screen. F1 > the windows started up, old XP 5-note startup tune/ all noises I was used to hearing. BUT. The screen's only feintly visible: in fact if I turn off the led hood lights above thinking Id see more.. I cant see a damn thing. weird.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Will do. Just found an oddity. popped the dvd tray > in again, saw very very feintly some spiel 'f1 to continue' on the balck screen. F1 > the windows started up, old XP 5-note startup tune/ all noises I was used to hearing. BUT. The screen's only feintly visible: in fact if I turn off the led hood lights above thinking Id see more.. I cant see a damn thing. weird.

Looking likely to be the screen then imo. Possibly the back light.

Digging it out again / knocked in storage might have re seated the memory enough.

Do you have a spare VGA lead? Does your telly have a 9-pin VGA port in which to plug said lead?

Edited by Onoff

Alas not.. looked everywhere for a VGA(edit!) lead. I'll pick one up when I can. I've managed to just see my pic I wanted tho..

Ok so back to the floor. I have my ref pic (of the '06 build I used to live in/ the small 1 big room 'wing' addition to a cottage being most of my residence). The builder's blue dpm is spead over floor, spilling up over 1 block perimeter outer course 'lip'. Chap's there whacking on maybe 6" depth/ height of concrete, barrow by barrow, smoothing over top carefully with hand float: going from one corner back, standing on the dpc (so doesnt this rule out its likely eps underfoot then-?). I thought I had pics of what insulation.. if any.. but alas not, so my pics not as useful as Id hoped: no evidence of insulation. Unless -under- the dpc. Is that a possibility?

The room once complete, with rockwool used in wall cavities & in ceiling joists (no PIR if I recall used in the build).. was 'normally' warm/ decently insulated enough it seemed.

Edited by zoothorn

@Ferdinand yup I could really do with one of those beatles-holes to lower my floor! nice one.. might put a lemon twigs link up to break things up, & keep Onoff interested(?!)

I might ask my builder to drop by again & go over the basic dig > new dpc > eps > slab idea (it being the only feasable work/ job I could attempt alone myself as Ive said).. IF this is a good plan of action.

Never know what protocol is re. asking solely his advice via a visit: IE should I offer him money for his time? or should I just condense it to just a phone call? he's fairly ammenable, & I have paid him £5k to rebuild my chimney + other jobs, but don't want to upset him.

Tbh you won't know until you do a test hole imo. You could hit rock! 

Other than that you need to decide the floor area, what floor build up will dictate the depth. Look to incorporate UFH pipes even if connecting them up to something is a job for later.

Ask him to revisit and quote for insulating the floor and ask for options for UFH / no UFH etc., and ask what insulation he intends to put in. Say that it’s to explore what cash you will need to secure for the job to be done. Did he give you a quote for this before? 

As @Onoff says you need to do a test hole initially to see what’s down there. 

Get a spade and dig down I would have thought. Work out how deep you will need to go to insulate the floor a la @Onoff‘s photos and dig down to that level outside near the main room (not right next to the foundations). If you hit a slab of rock or whatever before you get to the depth you need then as @Onoff suggests you’ll likely hit rock at the same level inside the house. It won’t be foolproof but should give you some idea whether it’s going to be feasible. If I can dig a 5 foot deep hole full of bricks and god knows what (half killed me mind!) I’m sure you can dig a suitable test hole ? 

Ok thanks newhome. There's an area near the front door I could do this. Is a metal bar not the right tool for the job, rather than a spade hole?

@Onoff we don't have any gas lines around here, which type of dpc is a huge way off/ but I'll try & remember.

For the moment I just want to acertain what the basic steps might be, for me, for this room.

What would be the minimum thickness of EPS to consider? I mean as much as Id like to put in 300mm, its not feasable for me/ for this room A) financially, B) workload-wise including deeper + more likely to hit rock, C) it might be overkill if walls still leeching cold anyway.

I 1st need to establish the minimum depth to excavate, to include a decent-enough layer of (sand 1st?) + EPS + decent-enough layer of concrete.. to make the job worthwhile/ good results. Then I can go from there > see how much deeper I can consider, if its feasable to.

29 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

How does your UFH work @Onoff.. I can guage the white coiled piping has hot water, but from what source: your C.heating, or a separate dedicated system? can you explain your UFH set up for me for this room you did?

thanks zoot

Not yet connected up!