Lintel help required

Oz07

Right got a doorway to knock out in bungalow tomorrow as weather is crap.

900 wide opening with around 500mm brickwork above but then this nasty purlin support detail on top of where doorway will be. I can pick up a 6" concrete lintel off the shelf which has 28.2 kn/m UDL.

Im not looking for an exact calc here but is this likely to be massively on the safe side or massively undersized? Thanks in advance to anyone brave enough

Exist south side 1.jpg

We had to have a lintel over an upstairs doorway in our new build but the B.I. insisted the concrete lintel installed by my builder was replaced by an RSJ. Reason being you are not allowed a point load on a concrete lintel. B.I. Said 100 x 100mm RSJ was sufficient. So question is, is this being covered by building regs?

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

As above - can’t point load concrete, needs to be a steel. 178x102x19 would probably do it, other option is a box lintel off the shelf and give Catnic a quick call as they will tell you what theirs will take and if you can point load them with 6 courses of masonry on top.

Is it bricks or blocks as bricks have a nasty habit of moving if they are point loaded. 

• Thanks 1

It will be b,regs but hadn't anticipated doing this just yet. To be fair I think I can move doorway away from this load slightly maybe 300mm away. Would rather be safe than sorry so glad I posed the question can always pick a steel up. 

There is no need to move the door , just do the job properly with the right materials 

if you say that there is only 500 mm of brickwork above then prop the whole lot up on acrow props and take all the brickwork down in the new opening right up to underneath those purlin supports

then install the steel and build it up in new brickwork 

this will save having to try and keep just 6-7 courses in place as you hammer and bang about

if you try and keep the brickwork above I guarantee you will disturb it, and you will have to pack the steel up under the old brick work

so you might as well take it all down and rebuild nice and fresh. 

I would like to think under all that loft insulation will be a wall plate of some description just build up to the underside and pack and re bed under it. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough weather was ok so cracked on outside. HD lintel with 50 kn/m UDL cheap enough in merchants. I got the tape out today and checked where I want my opening. Its about 450mm away from this support. There is actually existing opening into a different room below this. I would say the edge of the door frame is plumb with this support. Bet they haven't gone crazy above the door n all!

Have another wall to remove in property which requires structural engineer. Will be desk based exercise no site visit required. Whats a fair price to pay buildhubbers? I've had one quote back at 175 all in will get a couple more