Oversize worktops

vivienz

I'm having trouble making the final decision on my kitchen worktops.  The kitchen island will be about 1800mm deep (2 standard 90cm units) and 2300mm long, which is limiting my choice of surfaces.

I don't want granite or quartz and had been considering solid walnut, but I do like the look of some of the composite surfaces.  As far as I can see, the maximum width that these come in is 1400mm - not enough for my island. 

- if the composite is joined, how obvious is the join?

- how durable would the join be?  I'm thinking about whether it would move after a few years and make a ridge along the length

- are there any alternatives (not standard laminate) that are worth a look?

I had a go at grafting about 400mm extra onto a 600mm worktop:

PC280016.jpg.6c637ee1ea07aa3aa24f75f74365d172.jpg

You can't tbh see the join in this picture. (The line between the plant and big glass jar is just a reflection from something)

I ran the router down the two edges to be mated then routed out for clamps and joined with D4 wood glue. To start it was perfect but me being me left it for a while before siliconing over the joint and rubbing it in. Water got in behind the sink and swelled the join a bit. :(

Now covered over with Duck Transparent Repair Tape the whole length of the joint. Near invisible tbh.....except for the swollen bit.