Early doors look at a new build - Land

Paul B

Hi All, hope you all had an excellent Christmas and new year! I live in Ipswich, Suffolk and myself and my girlfriend are looking at the option of a self build. My dad was a builder fir many years before unfortunately passing away last year. He built our family home of many years in Essex before our move to Suffolk. I've always had a keen interest in property and building, so I think in my mind this is always something I have watched to do. At the moment this is very early stages, and we are intending to start the process of looking for a plot with the thinking it could potentially take us a few years to do so. If anyone could offer any insight or tips regarding plots it would be much appreciated. I've done some reading already on this matter, but as always all advice is welcome!

I believe a rough budget for us will be approximately £450 / £500 K total for plot and build just in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks all!

Paul.

Welcome to THE forum for self builders. Sounds interesting, budget should be OK for a modest property as long as you can get plot with services for under £200k leaving you with £250k for build and at £1500 /m2 you should get 150 m2 property with some contingency. 

9 hours ago, Paul B said:

Hi All, hope you all had an excellent Christmas and new year! I live in Ipswich, Suffolk and myself and my girlfriend are looking at the option of a self build. My dad was a builder fir many years before unfortunately passing away last year. He built our family home of many years in Essex before our move to Suffolk. I've always had a keen interest in property and building, so I think in my mind this is always something I have watched to do. At the moment this is very early stages, and we are intending to start the process of looking for a plot with the thinking it could potentially take us a few years to do so. If anyone could offer any insight or tips regarding plots it would be much appreciated. I've done some reading already on this matter, but as always all advice is welcome!

I believe a rough budget for us will be approximately £450 / £500 K total for plot and build just in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks all!

Paul.

Good budget

if you can get a plot for 200 

You should easily be able to build something nice for 250

From vague recollection Great Horkesley and the surrounding areas had a few self builds scattered around it from the time I lived there. Mind that was more than 10 years ago now, but it's a quiet enough area with good links and it's right close to Colchester

2 hours ago, Big Neil said:

Welcome Paul, Welcome. Whereabouts are you thinking of looking for land,any ideas yet? 

Thanks Neil!

At the moment there are two areas of Ipswich we are looking at, but no real looking done as yet apart from the usual Rightmove etc etc...

Likely looking at the nacton village / bucklesham area or the Playford / Rushmere area I think.

1 hour ago, Paul B said:

Likely looking at the nacton village / bucklesham area or the Playford / Rushmere area I think.

I used to live in Playford - some nice bits round there but from memory it was really expensive. Have you considered further up the A14 toward Bury St Edmunds or up toward Norwich ..?

Hi Peter, ahh small world! Well ideally we would like to stay this side of Ipswich as we both work here. Also my dad died last year and I'd like to stay close to my mums place, so I think somewhere around rushmere or nacton is preferred, but as always it's whats actually available!