What gadget do I need to shut off my mains water at the meter?

epsilonGreedy

This is a pseudo question I can now answer to save others asking the same dumb question I raised a few weeks ago.

In preparation for today's mains water pipe re routing I asked my pro self build neighbour if I could borrow one of those gadgets that reaches down into a roadside mains water shutoff inspection chambers to turn off the master waterboard stopcock for the site. He frowned and asked if this was for my site's water connection installed last summer and then added have you had a look?

No I had not looked. It transpires that a modern roadside stopcock/meter installation comes fitted with a type of long-reach raised tap head, this lurks under a custom piece of insulation foam. It is a doddle to turn off the supply, the foam insert even has a diagram showing the open and closed positions.

My water meter also had a useful feature in addition the main numerical readout. There is a black rotating cog visible through an inspection window that is very sensitive to any flow, it even registers a tiny flow of water in the reverse direction as the pipe reaches full pressure which I assume is a hydrostatic bounce or reflection. This cog provides immediate assurance any new connections do not have a serious leak.

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

@PeterWis that a screenshot of a BuildHub app or does the website reformat particularly well on a small mobile screen?

BuildHub on Safari on the iPhone - one of the reasons we chose the forum software as it supports  dynamic formatting natively. 

39 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

We want a picture

some call it a water stopcock

or stopcock T bar

ffs how do you take a screenshot on an iPhone... I’m getting ffs frustrated with this new toy 

We call it a Toby up here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

In fact its an answer..

My favourite software programming Q&A system called StackOverflow has a feature to support posts intended to be self answered, I think the idea is to allow separate Q & A posts to maintain a consistent style and to save others from expending time answering a post that is about to be self answered.