ICF Roof

Big Neil

It’s just another ICF floor if it’s flat. Beco do one, as do Jetfloor. 

The detail is where and how you make it waterproof, and how you complete any upstand or parapet as they either have to tie into the concrete core mechanically, or you create a cold bridge that needs very good detailing. 

I saw one that used Beco I think to do it and it was very good - they cast the roof tied direct to the core with waterproof concrete and then added another layer of tapered PIR onto the top, and then covered the lot with ply and GRP. The upstand had a continuous cast parapet top in tinted white cement based concrete and it looked like sandstone - cost about £6k from memory just for the parapet top. 

10 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

An ICF roof?

Well, when that happens I want a deckchair and a ring-side seat during the pour.....

I jokingly said "Pity you can't do the roof!" to one of the ICF traders at Build It. Seem to remember he said a doddle if a flat or very shallow slope and for more traditional pitches there are precast systems. Wonder what they do at the joints...?

We are still in the planning stages and are looking at Velox as our ICF system.  They have a flooring solution which I am assuming would act as the roof top.  When we meet with Marek in the new year to look further at this build method, it will be one of the issues we will be asking about.

Being I am half way through my icf journey, and being involved in construction for the past 30 odd years

i would say this is something a diy house builder should avoid, it is als something I would say 90% of English builders will struggle with

you would need a very good company to handle this, the proper system to support it while you pour the concrete will be immense

and far beyond what your average builder will be used to

by the time you have got them used to the way it should be done the time and trouble is not worth it. 

Tell me what are the benifits that outweigh the agro, I can’t see any. 

If you use a beam and block system such as jetfloor it is self supporting - the beams take the load. 

The one I saw had a lot of rebar in it, and most of the spine walls were blockwork so they acted as props but it was pretty much an Acro forest !

Actually Russell you've highlighted as an issue something i hadn't considered, that being experience. I saw that they existed and just wondered why they didn't seem to be getting used more. I was random you-tubing the other night and my interestet was grabbed by the attached video.

Some countries routinely build cast-in-situ concrete floors and roof structures, along with walls.  I recall seeing houses in Spain and Cyprus being made like this, and it's not a lot different to using ICF in principle.  The biggest problem here might be finding a builder to do it, as other than for commercial builds I suspect that cast-in-situ floor or roof structures won't be something many will be familiar with.

I remember talking to locals in Corfu 30+ years ago about the number of part built all concrete places and the sheer number of concrete pumps in use. Seems a young couple would get a piece of land and work during the tourist season to get the cash to say pour the slab. After next season they'd do up to first floor and so on finishing with a flat roof. 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Most were empty shells from memory and the kids would live with parents whilst building on family land. 

Pity. In some countries it's normal to live on the lower floors building the upper ones as money comes available. Forget which countries I read it about, perhaps Egypt.

15 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Pity. In some countries it's normal to live on the lower floors building the upper ones as money comes available. Forget which countries I read it about, perhaps Egypt.

Similar in India however the build tech and standards are somewhat suspect occasionally ..!!! 

Fair point on the lack of cranes, but i guess there is still an absolute f-ton of waste in the shuttering, where if the whole thing were ICF you wouldn't have plus would have no need to install insulation after the pour. I assume it is still braced underneath the roof section I might look into it more during the start of the new year some time.

11 hours ago, Big Neil said:

Fair point on the lack of cranes, but i guess there is still an absolute f-ton of waste in the shuttering, where if the whole thing were ICF you wouldn't have plus would have no need to install insulation after the pour. I assume it is still braced underneath the roof section I might look into it more during the start of the new year some time.

I would save your time, and And stick to a tried and trusted method. 

unless your going to use SIPS roof panels you still going to have to insulate a "bison" beam roof ..

we have a flat bison beam roof on a petrol station --it has 4" of polystyrene laid on top of hot poured tar.then roofing felt +chips 

villains tried to break in through what they thought was felt roof --got a shock when they hit the concrete

best of it was i did not know for 6 months  until was up there cleaning out gutters 

found this big hole --but it never leaked inside --the hot tar sealed it all very well

there are other ICF roof systems  like the velox  one which is made from preformed  wood crete 

http://velox-systems.co.uk/products

look under ceilings and floors

or you can go for a poly type 

see

https://econekt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ECONEKT.-ICF-Elements-Brochure2.pdf

loads of different types available