Stage 1 Is Very Nearly Complete :)

20 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Tasty enough. Blocks are so much better to build. 

Get them motar boards up higher so you don't need to bend, will make a big difference to the pains in the back.

If I could get hold of some milk crates I would love to. Problem is those drums don't stack very well. And stacking them on blocks only works if the scaffold doesn't move :S

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Great video Ed.  But that drone footage. Are there NO hills where you live? that really re defines a flat landscape where you are.

We prefer to use the word undulating. I'll admit it's not quite the Peak District but neither is it the fens. Come down here on a bike and you'll soon find where the hills are. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, DavidFrancis said:

I've not watched all of your videos, so sorry if you've mentioned this before, but what kind of mortar are you using?  It looks a rather creamy colour.  Is that the sand or the cement/lime?  Or are you just using a dye?

It's mainly the sand is a very light colour. Plus there is white cement and hydrated lime in it. It comes out almost white when its just laid. Then goes more creamy when it goes off. 

The guage is 7 sharp 1 white cement 1 lime. 

Originally it was going to be 5 sharp and 2 soft washed. But I didn't have any soft washed on site when I started so now I'm stuck with the  (very unforgiving) mix. 

I think you're being too self-critical. Gives it character! I doubt anyone but you will notice it once it's finished.

Gauging brickwork is one of life's mysteries. Our brickies were nearly 1/2 brick out on the front elevation when they came to the upper floor windows. All the brickwork lines up though, so it was puzzling how it was out. The brickies blamed the timber frame. This is mm perfect, but I suppose the calculation of the gauge may have been out. It was easily remedied by dropping the frame opening by the same amount (fortunately the windows aren't in yet).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Prepare yourself for 8 mins of moaning 

E: "Faye says it's not gonna fit through the gap".

F: "It's pretty tight!"

Is this the script for another "home movie"?

;)

• Like 1