Kitchen design - how to cope with worktop appliances

howplum

Thinking about our new kitchen design, I'm wondering about the best way of accommodating the various appliances and storage vessels that currently have taken up permanent residence on a fair part of the 600mm wide worktop in our current home. They include, but are not limited to, toaster, bread bin, kettle, fruit bowls, rice container and chopping board rack, occasionally joined by a broiler and/or slow cooker and/or food processor. Obviously they limit the amount of convenient working space. To further make the problem relevant my wife has problems lifting things, so storing them in a cupboard is not a viable option.

One thought I had was to utilise a wider worktop, say 750mm, but this would then make access to wall cupboards tricky, although in an ideal world I would like to dispense with wall cupboards altogether, but that might be a point for discussion! I  also appreciate that a wider worktop would potentially lead to wasted space behind the units, although drawer runners up to 700mm are available, which would mean deeper base units and drawers, which might have to be built to order. Still, it would mean about 40% more storage, and therefore help to compensate for the lack of wall cupboards. I am planning to have all drawers anyway, since it makes life so much easier.

Another fanciful, and probably dangerous, idea I had was to have a tall cupboard with pullout shelves on which would sit the various appliances and storage containers.

Any alternative ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

Boiling water tap gets rid of the kettle.

We just have toaster, and tea making stuff (tea, coffee, suger etc)

Part of the kitchen is all open shelving (will eventually be enclosed to form a pantry) where all the rest of your stuff lives when not needed.

Like as @Crofter says - make the worktop wider or overlap some of the tambour front cupboards onto the worktop and use to hide the appliances. If you make them deep enough to take the deepest appliance though it may take up too much space although most come as a cupboard so the gap from the wall can vary. Could even use slide out shelves if you really wanted. 

2 hours ago, howplum said:

Thinking about our new kitchen design, I'm wondering about the best way of accommodating the various appliances and storage vessels that currently have taken up permanent residence on a fair part of the 600mm wide worktop in our current home. They include, but are not limited to, toaster, bread bin, kettle, fruit bowls, rice container and chopping board rack, occasionally joined by a broiler and/or slow cooker and/or food processor. Obviously they limit the amount of convenient working space. To further make the problem relevant my wife has problems lifting things, so storing them in a cupboard is not a viable option.

One thought I had was to utilise a wider worktop, say 750mm, but this would then make access to wall cupboards tricky, although in an ideal world I would like to dispense with wall cupboards altogether, but that might be a point for discussion! I  also appreciate that a wider worktop would potentially lead to wasted space behind the units, although drawer runners up to 700mm are available, which would mean deeper base units and drawers, which might have to be built to order. Still, it would mean about 40% more storage, and therefore help to compensate for the lack of wall cupboards. I am planning to have all drawers anyway, since it makes life so much easier.

Another fanciful, and probably dangerous, idea I had was to have a tall cupboard with pullout shelves on which would sit the various appliances and storage containers.

Any alternative ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

I’ve installed a 750 worktop 

and it’s worked well

I thought my wife was barking when she suggested it ( Insisted)

But I have to admit it looks ok

and does the job nicely 

The only drawback is the sash window is hard for her to open

But at six foot four It’s nice to be of use for something ?

1 minute ago, nod said:

I’ve installed a 750 worktop 

and it’s worked well

I thought my wife was barking when she suggested it ( Insisted)

But I have to admit it looks ok

and does the job nicely 

The only drawback is the sash window is hard for her to open

But at six foot four It’s nice to be of use for something ?

No more work to install 

Actually made it easier having a void behind the base units 

Wires and a waste pipe I needed to move 

5BC5F045-45EF-46E3-90DC-28B48A0CB345.jpeg

2 hours ago, howplum said:

They include, but are not limited to, toaster, bread bin, kettle, fruit bowls, rice container and chopping board rack, occasionally joined by a broiler and/or slow cooker and/or food processor. Obviously they limit the amount of convenient working space.

TBH that seems not to be excessive ? . I also have TV, coffee machine, coffee grinder, coffee storage unit, knife block, lazy Susan, microwave, Wok, griddle plate, cutlery basked, tea and coffee pot tray behind the kettle, chopping boards and trays behind the knife block, flower arrangement In a demijohn, and several unidentified items ?. And grain container, cake container and fruit bowl on the island.

Suggestions

If you re a tidy sort, then my sink came with a glass Chopping board on wheels which runs along on top, a chopping board could be inset in the worktop or put  next to the cooker as a dual purpose hot pan stand, and there is much to be said for as island. WE used to have chopping boards which slid into a pair of runners above the top of a drawer unit ... not so common these days I fear.

Another useful item is a mobile storage trolley can be a good supplement to an island or alternative in a compact kitchen. like one of these:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-islands-trolleys/förhöja-kitchen-trolley-birch-art-80035920/

F

Edited by Ferdinand

12 minutes ago, nod said:

No more work to install 

Actually made it easier having a void behind the base units 

Wires and a waste pipe I needed to move 

5BC5F045-45EF-46E3-90DC-28B48A0CB345.jpeg

+101

CHampagne, wine and Rupert the Bear outfit. Essential items that must always be easily accessible without fail.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

If you do go for wall cupboards at all I thoroughly recommend a bifold door opening upwards.

When I am working in the kitchen which involves putting things away or getting them out the doors stay open without getting in the way or risk of banging head.  Then closed when all is finished. 

Top shelves just for things that are rarely used of course

30 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

If you do go for wall cupboards at all I thoroughly recommend a bifold door opening upwards.

When I am working in the kitchen which involves putting things away or getting them out the doors stay open without getting in the way or risk of banging head.  Then closed when all is finished. 

Top shelves just for things that are rarely used of course

5AC7A0AD-EDEC-4CA7-96E5-1E0997E3AA34.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for your responses - there are some excellent ideas to consider.

15 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Would incorporating a breakfast cupboard help tidy up the main worktops? 

I like that idea, especially with pivot and slide doors.

18 hours ago, ProDave said:

Boiling water tap gets rid of the kettle.

Already on my "wish list", but part of me wonders about the ramifications when/if it goes wrong.

14 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Perhaps with the Blum electric motor?

17 hours ago, PeterW said:

make the worktop wider or overlap some of the tambour front cupboards onto the worktop and use to hide the appliances. If you make them deep enough to take the deepest appliance though it may take up too much space although most come as a cupboard so the gap from the wall can vary. Could even use slide out shelves if you really wanted. 

Another excellent idea for the list.

31 minutes ago, howplum said:

Perhaps with the Blum electric motor?

I’ve fitted the upward units from DIY Kitchens and they don’t need the motor at all - perfectly balanced and very easily adjustable. Motors are just one more thing to go wrong ..!! 

25 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’ve fitted the upward units from DIY Kitchens and they don’t need the motor at all - perfectly balanced and very easily adjustable. Motors are just one more thing to go wrong ..!! 

Valid points, but then height when raised might be an issue. Another visit to a showroom might be needed at some point.