Ashp EE-03 error

Ian Nixon

10 minutes ago, Ian Nixon said:

Is this it but I’m unsure why my heating engineer keeps saying I need one?

12BE9189-4142-468C-B03B-581CD06CF5D7.jpeg

That looks like the safety overheat thermostat. If it trips, you unscrew that little black thing and it reveals a reset button.

But normally there are 2 thermostats, one that the user can adjust, and this last resort cut out. Often (usually) they are in the same case together.  It does seem odd you don't appear to have that one.

So my engineer is correct then.  I only have this one fitted.  Hence why when I have hot water timer on, the pump never stops and costs me lots but if I put the hot water on the time I go back to the bloody beginning of why I posted with the sodding EE-03 error.  I’ve tried speeding up the pump.  Not having the heating and hot water running together?  And some other adjustments.  It’s a bloody nightmare.

12 minutes ago, Ian Nixon said:

So my engineer is correct then.  I only have this one fitted.  Hence why when I have hot water timer on, the pump never stops and costs me lots but if I put the hot water on the time I go back to the bloody beginning of why I posted with the sodding EE-03 error.  I’ve tried speeding up the pump.  Not having the heating and hot water running together?  And some other adjustments.  It’s a bloody nightmare.

So if that is correct, and heating the hot water  is just by timer then you can’t be running a setup that meets the G-3 regs - do you have a benchmark book or installation certificate..?

Could it be like mine, that the HP manufacturer provides a temperature probe that goes into a spare thermostat pocket on the hot water tank so does not actually use the standard tank thermostat?

What else is connected to that tank?

There is nothing else except the immersion heater.  That’s all.

im getting a stat fitted so that will sort that problem out.  But I’m still passed about the EE-03 error.  I think change the sensor is next thing but then I’m sure it will do it all the time if it was this and not just when HW is on timer ?????

The error must be a start up thing, a valve not opening quick enough and the HP thinking too soon that the flow is too low.

Re jug the controls so the timer / thermostat  opens the 2 (or 3?) port valve and the feedback contact instructs the HP to start only when the valve is fully open.

On 07/01/2019 at 21:19, ProDave said:

I have fortified my own system by adding a Steibel Eltron instant water heater in  line with the output. This is a modulating electric heater.  The output temperature is set for the same as the HW tank temperature. So under normal use, it does very little. But if the tank runs low and the water starts to go cold, it will boost it in real time.

@ProDave, this seems a good insurance policy, can I ask what model you used please? I've had a look and the range is pretty big. Am thinking we'll go with ASHP for UFH & DHW so will have the risk of low temp DHW as the ASHP restores the cylinder temp. 3-4 person house with 3 bathrooms. Many of the in-line heaters seem to be for single outlet and prob designed to work off a cold input but I image the typical scenario for us will be a ~20 degree lift (usually hopefully doing nothing of course) so may not be exactly what they were designed for. Advice appreciated.

15 hours ago, Ian Nixon said:

Yes I reckon that’s what does happen.  Oh ok I will suggest this to my engineer.  Can you set that kind of stuff some where?

thanks for all your help

Ian

No it's a matter of seeing how it is physically wired and maybe changing some of the wiring.