Ashp EE-03 error

Ian Nixon

Hi all, ok I haven’t turned up the ashp Pump speed yet but will do but if I keep on the timer switch for hw as always on I don’t get the error but what I did notice is though the ashp isn’t operating so no need for heat or hw, the pump on the outside so next to ashp it’s always running?????  Sure if don’t need hot water should this be running 24/7.

On 27/12/2018 at 21:41, Ian Nixon said:

Hi all, ok I haven’t turned up the ashp Pump speed yet but will do but if I keep on the timer switch for hw as always on I don’t get the error but what I did notice is though the ashp isn’t operating so no need for heat or hw, the pump on the outside so next to ashp it’s always running?????  Sure if don’t need hot water should this be running 24/7.

On 23/12/2018 at 16:37, Ian Nixon said:

What I might do sometime is photo all my system and you can hopefully tell me if I have the necessary parts fitted.

many thanks to all

Did you try the faster pump speed?

Have you actually been present to see what actually happens at the instant it throws up the error?  I had a most peculiar intermittent fault on mine that I only solved because I just happened to be in the plant room when I heard it start up spuriously (when it should have been off) and then trip out.

It was on high when I checked.  But something strange going on, I switched water off like I said I had done and then it puts the error up.  When I went through settings on pump still error but then when I got to number 3 setting which is just high like on a normal pump the error went and it started.  I switched off the air source heat pump a couple of times and now guess what I put the pump back on the setting I had it on and now no error when I have water on timer?  What the hell is all this about.  It sounds more like electrical to me????

2 minutes ago, Ian Nixon said:

Do anybody have hot water problems with ashp, I.e sometimes not that hot.  I’ve added my immersion to come on a little to help.

can you turn up the hot water the ashp provides?  Or what do others experience or do please.

thanks

The issue, is under certain weather conditions (very close to 0 degrees, high humidity) an ASHP may ice up, so it has to stop what it is doing, defrost itself (which will take some heat out of your HW tank) and then start heating again.

This has 2 effects, it will take longer, and use more electricity to heat the hot water.

I have concluded there is a big issue of understanding.  A conventional gas or oil boiler will pump perhaps 20KW of heat into a hot water tank and heat it up very quickly.  An ASHP will put perhaps 5KW of heat into the tank and take very much longer.  If you have just had a bath or several long showers and used up all the hot water, the recovery time will be much longer than a boiler.  If you are not expecting that, you will be disappointed.

I have fortified my own system by adding a Steibel Eltron instant water heater in  line with the output. This is a modulating electric heater.  The output temperature is set for the same as the HW tank temperature. So under normal use, it does very little. But if the tank runs low and the water starts to go cold, it will boost it in real time.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have fortified my own system by adding a Steibel Eltron instant water heater in  line with the output. This is a modulating electric heater.  The output temperature is set for the same as the HW tank temperature. So under normal use, it does very little. But if the tank runs low and the water starts to go cold, it will boost it in real time.

Dave, as you know I have one of these in case I need it. Do you have any logging to prove if it’s needed and how much?

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Dave, as you know I have one of these in case I need it. Do you have any logging to prove if it’s needed and how much?

No, not yet.  But by accident I do have a spare electricity meter, so I might just consider connecting to log how much energy it uses.

There have not been any "multiple ladies showering" incidents since I fitted it, so I am sure it has not saved the day yet.

• Haha 2

I’m not talking when the weather has been that low.  Say 5 degrees at night and then need to shower in morning.  How hot is your water temp.

also can you adjust the water temp leaving ashp.  Why can you amend the water inlet temp?  I don’t understand this?

Different heat pumps work in different ways.

My LG, you set the hot water tank temperature and it measures that with a probe in a pocket in the tank. I have that set to 47 degrees.  You can also set a limit on the "water leaving temperature" in DHW mode, and I have that set for 55 degrees.

Another quirk of mine is that it only heats hot water for 30 minute bursts before switching back to space heating for at least another 30 minutes, one of the reasons it can take so long to heat the tank.

I can also read from the control unit what the actual HW tank temperature is so I know if it has reached the target temperature or not.

The worst temperature point for an ASHP is just above freezing. That is when they are likely to freeze and need to defrost.  Once it is well below zero there is usually very little moisture in the air to it tends to run for long periods without icing.

News, I spoke to the manufacturer of my ashp about the temp and they said to check on my programme 1 and guess what?  It was set to 40 degrees that’s why it wasn’t hot.  They told me to set it at 55 degrees but I set it to 50 degrees and now the water is hot.  So one problem down.  Just got to sort the error so I can stop having my pump running 24/7 and we should be there ?

Edited by Ian Nixon

• 2 weeks later...

The difference with a "heat pump" hot water cylinder, is the input coil is larger.  With the Telford one I have it goes pretty much top to bottom of the tank, and is corrugated to increase the surface area.

As I understand it this means you can heat the tank to a given temperature with a lower temperature of input water.

I don't see how this can relate to your flow rate error, but it could result in the return temperature  being too high and a different error.  Or it will just take longer to heat the hot water.

Aparently it’s not good though having this one fitted.  Will be costing me more and not efficient?  It’s not got a stat fitted either so everything wrong with it really.  Also supposed to have a filter fitted on the return to ashp but it hadn’t so think a bit of a refit is needed.  Will the right tank make all the difference do you think??

I have never seen an UVC without a tank thermostat, that is one of the essential features I thought they all had to have.  Even though mine does not routinely use the tank stat to control temperature (it has a separate temperature probe for that) the tank stat is wired to kill power and close the 2 port valve feeding the cylinder if it gets too hot.

• Like 1