Waste Removal

Ed_MK

I must admit, I wasn't excited at the thought of spending Xmas filling at LEAST one large skip with the waste from my build.

then someone suggested a grab service ...GREAT (i thought)

But after calling several companies up that advertised removal of a load starting from £199

I realised it was the usual BAIT advertising.

the asked what the waste was ....General Building ...you know the stuff ...Some Rubble sacks, bits of offcut wood and plaster board

some timber, the odd few broken bricks and roof tiles etc etc

The quotes came in at almost 800 quid !

and some very DUBIOUS practises .....

Like the company that wanted to charge me a STANDING charge of £170 + VAT

and then £150 + VAT per tonne

Minimum job = 3 Tonne

But you have to pay for 10 Tonne up front and then they "refund " you once it is weighed...hmmmm

I mean i have really minimised on waste ...saving all useable bricks and hard standing for later projects and cannibalising any useful
wood for studding and stuff later ...

Just seems like a lot to me ...maybe because I am in MK

Of course there is always the lads from the camp sites wanting a "few quid to move your rubbish mister"

but I am 100% sure this would be fly-tipped ..so I wouldnt

but I can see why people are sometimes forced to use this option

Edited by Ed_MK

You will find all the landfill taxes have put prices up

the only way to do it cheaper is to separate it well

1 small skip for bricks, rubble £175 ish

large bulk skip for lightweight stuff, plastic,wood insulation £250 ish

get a metal drum and burn all the timber off cuts, make it look like your using it to warm your hands, keep it very small and you won’t get complaints. 

I opened an an account with a skip co and save about £25 per skip but it’s still a fortune

• Thanks 1

I have not paid for any waste removal.  One of the advantages of a slow build is small quantities at a time are easy to dispose of, just take them to the local tip. Some areas restrict how many times you can visit but not here. If taking a trailer you have to sign a declaration that it is your own personal waste.

Rubble, bricks, blocks all get used as hardcore.

Wood gets used to make something or fuel for the stove.

Plasterboard, I was so eficcient with use I doubt the total waste exceeded 2 full sheets, and cut up small, it just went a little bit at a time in the bottom of the wheelie bin (cough)

Ditto all plastic wrapping from deliveries, cement bags etc got treated as normal waste.

Insulation, nothing at all got wasted, small offcuts that are no good for walls, are perfect for insulating under a floor void.  I even took many bags or waste rockwool from another local self builder and used that to insulate the posijoist voids around the perimiter of the house and some more under the floors.  I even got enough large offcuts from that lot to insulate my entire garage walls.

Understood.

I guess i have not been frugal enough with mine

separating it never came to mind ....also most of it was "dumped on the pile" by various trades.

Including discarded lunch in carrier bags and now we have furry friends in there too ... i saw one

I would like to think it was a mouse .....but deep down i know it is a ..."pedigree siberian hamster"

I think Manuel called it in fawlty towers 

nice

• Haha 1

Of all that, the plasterboard is causing the issue as it has to be separated. The local tip here has a specific plasterboard skip and don’t seem to mind how many times you go to put stuff in it - in fact I’ve seen Plasterer’s vans there around 6pm .... If you can separate it out then the rest will be cheaper to get rid of. 

4 hours ago, Ed_MK said:

also most of it was "dumped on the pile" by various trades.

Including discarded lunch in carrier bags and now we have furry friends in there too

I really hate it when trades decide to dump some of their own crap in my skips.  Or the ones that just launch whatever rubbish they have, filling the skip with empty cardboard etc or every day, carrier bag with empty plastic bottles with lid replaced, sandwich wrapper and newspaper.

On my last project I made sure all cardboard was flattened and stored in the dry.  We had a firm come to collect it.  We also had a local wood recycling firm collect timber, pallets etc.  Still had to pay but half the cost and at least it is being put to good use.  Plasterboard went to a separate skip.

Sounds expensive in Milton Keynes.

We have had 2 large mixed skips on our entire build over 18 months.

They cost £178 each all in.

Everything has gone into them including plasterboard.

Most of our waste has actually been stuff from our existing house that has been hoarded for years in the attic & garage that I am determined will not follow us to the new house.

9 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Sounds expensive in Milton Keynes.

We have had 2 large mixed skips on our entire build over 18 months.

They cost £178 each all in.

Everything has gone into them including plasterboard.

Most of our waste has actually been stuff from our existing house that has been hoarded for years in the attic & garage that I am determined will not follow us to the new house.

Döstädning ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

[...]

One of the advantages of a slow build is small quantities at a time are easy to dispose of, just take them to the local tip.

[...]

Or, tip the bin men well. I always make a point of a cheerful / cheeky chat and a smile when they come round.

Asked for a spare wheelie bin, the following week one turned up: no explanation, no fuss. Been leeching stuff into it ever since.

All cardboard, bottles and plastic goes into the recycling bins, general rubbish is put into black bin bags and goes into the wheels bin. Wood is in a “help yourself” pile, anything not wanted goes onto the wood burning stove. 

Plasterboard goes to a dedicated skip at the local recycling centre.

Our local recycling centre charges £4 a bag for soil and hardcore and £4 for plasterboard maximum 1800 x 900.

Apparently there has been a huge increase in flytipping since they introduced this.

Edited by Mr Punter

So much harder with refurb projects when you're gutting a house. I used 13 skips and will need another two next year I reckon. Digging out the existing floor for a new insulated polished concrete floor took about 3 rubble ones. Ripping out the old stud walls, old blockwork, all the old plasterboard, sanitary, old kitchen, rotten timbers and floors. I recycled the old radiators, pipwork and other metal, sold the fireplace surround and a few teak doors but everything else was waste. I found it hard to sell anything worth keeping. Some timber had woodworm so couldn't risk re-using any. It was burned in a bonfire. Crazy amount of waste. Neighbours thought we were digging an underground tunnel with all the skips and waste coming out of the house.

I rang our local council regarding the large amount of plastic,expanded polystyrene etc that we had from our site and explained it was a self build so no trade people involved and asked if I could take it to their recycling/waste transfer station and they informed me “NO” I would have to order a skip and pay for its removal that way. They don’t help you help yourself, no wonder people fly tip. In the end my builder shifted it fir me and was charged trade waste (but it weighed nothing so very little charge, just a pint for my builder)

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Or, tip the bin men well. I always make a point of a cheerful / cheeky chat and a smile when they come round.

Asked for a spare wheelie bin, the following week one turned up: no explanation, no fuss. Been leeching stuff into it ever since.

Well done. I do exactly the same £10 a fortnight gets me 4 wheelie bins, nod nod wink wink say no more. 

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Our local recycling centre charges £4 a bag for soil and hardcore and £4 for plasterboard maximum 1800 x 900.

Apparently there has been a huge increase in flytipping since they introduced this.

i can't believe people would rather fly tip than pay to dispose of their rubbish over and above their concil tax, beggars belief.

Our LA is pretty much unlimited waste, you do need  proof of residency and a permit to bring in a trade branded vehicle.

I did this with the landscaper and was initially refused on arrival, despite having the permit. Called council, complained and was allowed an hour later.

We have relatively little fly typing and the skip firms still seem to do a roaring trade.

Well in MK it sadly is not any of the ways above...

If they see so much as a Beans tin in the paper sack it gets left.

and if the bin bag has anything sticking out ....think empty bacofoil roll ....they leave it.

Even the green bin... if it is too heavy and you leave it a few weeks ..they grab the handle and then walk off.

I mean it WAS a 74 year old woman that wheeled it out to the kerb !!!

Forgot the grab lorry idea already ...I am getting 1 or 2 skips in the new year now

I did try the "man and a van" option a few days ago from the local paper ...A man came out and said he would shift the lot for 350

done!

But then he wanted me to "book it" by paying 50% up front to cover "tipping costs" this was BEFORE he loaded a damn thing.

I must look soft in the head ...LOL

13 minutes ago, Triassic said:

When my dad was building houses back in the 1980s building waste was buried on site. On one site this included an old Transit van which failed its MOT.

On our first build, we dug up a complete car door, and a wheel complete with tyre still holding air.

We only had one skip, once we realised the builders were using it to offload stuff from other jobs we decided no more, we advertised free to uplift all the insulation offcuts and several people came and took it away, we had bonfires of all wood and cardboard and the rest was taken bit by bit to the tip, unfortunately the builders thought we’d have to get another skip and offloaded a fridge freezer which they omitted to take with them when we told them to come and get their stuff!

10 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

We only had one skip, once we realised the builders were using it to offload stuff from other jobs we decided no more, we advertised free to uplift all the insulation offcuts and several people came and took it away, we had bonfires of all wood and cardboard and the rest was taken bit by bit to the tip, unfortunately the builders thought we’d have to get another skip and offloaded a fridge freezer which they omitted to take with them when we told them to come and get their stuff!

the cheeky buggers !