Wall mounted Solar PV

Stones

Linked to the discussion here:

and following a joint purchase of panels with @ProDave I'm planning to install a small, 6 panel array.  For simplicity and neatness, I've decided to mount the array on my garage wall. Whilst it is true that this will not maximise generation, it should result in my being able to use almost all of what is generated, and should save some of the expense and work involved in creating a ground mounting system.

My plan is to mount the panels, orientated in portrait format, so the top is the same height as the house windows (should look better visually).

The question really is how best to mount them.  In the linked topic, @Miek provided a link to a supplier of mounting rails, clamps etc.  Whilst I could fix the panels directly to timber battens onto which the garage cladding is fixed (using Z brackets) my gut feeling is that it would be better and probably easier to use a rail and clamp system.

I've emailed the company to ask, but anyone have a view why I shouldn't use a roof mounting rail system for this job?  Any other suggestions welcome.

All the solar panel rail mount systems I've used (a few, hilti sell a good system too) are so easy to use I wouldn't bother trying to save money here. I think aesthetically they will look neater too. 

You could use the clips only, with a stainless wood screw on to batten I guess.. 

The simplest and probably most robust solution is to use one of the rail systems used for a roof mount. Instead of using brackets to fix it to a roof you could just drill it and bolt it directly to the garage wall.

I am watching the outcome of this carefully, i.e wanting to find the cheapest rail / clamp system to mount on the top of my wooden structure.  The few I have looked at so far seem very expensive.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I am watching the outcome of this carefully, i.e wanting to find the cheapest rail / clamp system to mount on the top of my wooden structure.  The few I have looked at so far seem very expensive.

Just weld up some 30mm steel box. That’s cheaper than shoplifting. Can you mig weld? Or even arc ?

21 hours ago, ProDave said:

The simplest and probably most robust solution is to use one of the rail systems used for a roof mount. Instead of using brackets to fix it to a roof you could just drill it and bolt it directly to the garage wall.

That had been my train of thought. To ensure free drainage I would need a small spacer between rail and timber cladding, but I can't see that being especially problematic.