Bats, heritage and a vent

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

Phew, I am relieved for you, but, they may still be there!!!, our bats were found by them listening to the tin roof (galvanised corrugated roof) and sounds were heard that indicated bats were between the tin roof and sarking boards which we could not see onto without removing the tin roof. I really hope you have none.

I hope not! I've been driving myself batty (pun intended!) researching into everything bat related.... Couldn't see any signs but I may need to keep going up the loft weekly now, checking for mice and rats after the discovery of the rodent boxes ? and clearing out some of the junk we discovered today. We are also clearing out all the outbuildings, vacuuming and cleaning over the next week or so, we also cut down some more trees today. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @canalsiderenovation sorry to hijack your thread! I've been knee-deep in researching bats and speaking to ecologists. Have you had your survey done yet? 

We are arranging our scoping survey, and the several ecologists I spoke to said that we likely would have to do the dawn/dusk emergence survey too as we're in a 'bat hotspot' and our stone house has gable end featherboards which bats like to roost behind. Although we haven't seen any bats in the attics, we'd likely be considered to have "medium" or "high" roosting potential, necessitating the follow-up surveys in May! 

That's a huge bummer as we were hoping for an all-clear after the scoping survey and planned to submit our planning application in March. It looks like we'd need to submit the emergence surveys before our application can be validated by the local council - so now it's probably slipping to May/June. And if we have bats, there are also restrictions on when we can demolish...  we were hoping to start work this summer! 

URGH BATS! 

Well our architects spoke to the council and they asked for lots of photographs of our loft and outbuildings first. I took about 100 photos and the architects have submitted them, the outbuildings are sparkly and clean as is the loft so they need to decide now if we need a bat survey as well. Our architects seem to think the photos may be sufficient. Like you, it will put the brakes on any build for this year if that happens. Keep me posted @janelondon