Oak Staircase Prices?

iSelfBuild

Can anyone recommend an oak staircase supplier?

Just had one designed by a company I use in Estonia and my eyes are watering! Thought it might be better to source one in the UK due to transport costs.

I'm sure I remember @JSHarris saying he had a contact for someone who uses CNC but I may have dreamt it! 

We just took delivery of our oak staircase this week and I realised you don’t get much for your dosh, straight flight, glass up the sides with oak handrails, we also will have glass to both sides of the mezzanine, it’s unfinished as they wanted another 1200 for satin finish, what I’m really disappointed in is the back of the staircase , it’s not next to a wall so there won’t be a cupboard under it and it will be visible so we’ll have to get the joiner to finish off the back, 6.5k!image.thumb.jpg.d2b8725e3d5ceeb807d158c2c101fccb.jpg

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

Just had one designed by a company I use in Estonia and my eyes are watering! Thought it might be better to source one in the UK due to transport costs.

I'm sure I remember @JSHarris saying he had a contact for someone who uses CNC but I may have dreamt it! 

We used Pear Stairs. Very good service and at the time, the best price we could get for solid oak with 10mm thick glass panels.  They do custom designs via an online service, and send you a link to a 3D model of your stairs so you can see what they will look like before you commit to the order.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We just took delivery of our oak staircase this week and I realised you don’t get much for your dosh, straight flight, glass up the sides with oak handrails, we also will have glass to both sides of the mezzanine, it’s unfinished as they wanted another 1200 for satin finish, what I’m really disappointed in is the back of the staircase , it’s not next to a wall so there won’t be a cupboard under it and it will be visible so we’ll have to get the joiner to finish off the back, 6.5k!

I panelled under our oak stairs for a hell of a lot less than that!

IIRC, we paid a bit over £2k for the stairs and glass panels, and I think it cost me around another £200 to panel the underside.  The stairs were designed with rebates under the side rails so that the panelling underneath could be fitted flush for a neat look.  Took me around a day, at most, to panel it in and also build an  oak under stairs cupboard, and I'm not a joiner...

I finished our stairs with Osmo oil satin finish, expensive (around £50 IIRC) but easy to apply and it's given a very durable and easy to touch up finish.

Another for Pear Stairs. The online modeling allows you to change just the width and for a double winder I needed to vary the depth to make the staircase fit a gap and still meet the Regs. The designer (Steff from memory) reworked the design about half a dozen times to make the width, depth, going and slope all fit. Was very impressed with the whole end to end service. 

1 hour ago, iSelfBuild said:

I’ve just installed this one in oak

£2700 plus 

We wanted the spindles in yellow pine another 200 for oak

Yreads and risers in oak another 400

0C7DA27A-5DD8-471D-A8C4-7E52A90808C2.jpeg

DDB43F1A-85B5-4BAB-840A-F294CF193121.jpeg

E586D313-739C-4C6B-A6C5-3159A2C2086D.jpeg

Mine are from here (minus the round bits at the bottom of the stairs). I can't tell you how much we paid as they were part of the timber frame kit. I know we paid 1k from memory to upgrade to full oak as the original spec wasn't full oak. 

https://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/products/stairs/products/prestige/

• 1 month later...

Stairbox have quoted £3515.00 + VAT

For an Oak staircase cut string both sides. Strings are 32mm Engineered oak and the treads and rises are 32mm oak. 2910mm - 15 risers - 1010mm width.

Can anyone suggest we try anywhere else?

I've just dug out the invoice from Pear Stairs.  It was £1990.45 + VAT for a solid oak staircase (oak strings both sides, oak treads and risers, engineered oak newels and oak hand rails) including 4 off 10mm thick glass panels and fixings, three for the stairs and one for the landing.  The quote also included an oak apron and trims for the lower part of the landing, to cover the exposed posijoist.

433614489_PearStairs2.thumb.jpg.e3dc50cf04a84928e9784e6f460f8ea1.jpg

1165579489_PearStairs1.thumb.jpg.dd8a2bf7e413bb7550a1c319c819c141.jpg

1 hour ago, iSelfBuild said:

Stairbox have quoted £3515.00 + VAT

For an Oak staircase cut string both sides. Strings are 32mm Engineered oak and the treads and rises are 32mm oak. 2910mm - 15 risers - 1010mm width.

Can anyone suggest we try anywhere else?

When I was looking at stairs, cut stringers added near enough £1K  to the price. Are they a must have?

Our stringers looked like they were CNC machined to me, with neatly routed out grooves for the treads and risers, with oak wedges driven in to hold them all tightly in place as well as the glue and all the triangular blocks that were glued on to strengthen the rebated tread and riser joints.  There wasn't any other option from what I can recall when we placed the order.

A cut string is where the top part of the string between the underside of the tread and the riser is cut out for the tread to sit on, instead of it being routed out.  It is an aesthetic thing mostly and it works well where the outside of the string is visible (not for stairs built in between 2 walls).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

A cut string is where the top part of the string between the underside of the tread and the riser is cut out for the tread to sit on, instead of it being routed out.  It is an aesthetic thing mostly and it works well where the outside of the string is visible (not for stairs built in between 2 walls).

Thanks, but both the outside faces of the strings on our stairs could have been on view with nothing showing except a smooth surface.  Only one side is on view, as the other is against a wall, but both sides looked the same to me.  I'm not clear on what the difference is between the two, in terms of aesthetics.

Stairs.JPG

This is pretty much the style we are going for (image at the bottom)

But the glass will be more like: Worsley-2.jpg

One of my suppliers in Eastern Europe helped me out and passed me someone they use locally and it has smashed stairbox out of the water. There is no denying, a cut string is a mega expensive feature but it's what SWAMBO wants.

Stairs (1).png

Edited by iSelfBuild

Ours are stairbox:

1665610002_Stairs5.thumb.jpg.970744dd8bd6a09bbae7191b475e2a05.jpg

Just something to be aware of:  framless glass balustrades, i.e. without handrail, might not be as straightforward as you'd hope (or the style magazines suggest!) if you need it to meet building regs.  Frameless would have been my first choice, but getting someone to make it to meet regulations started getting very expensive, with talk of steel strings clad in timber to take the loadings.

29 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Ours are stairbox:

1665610002_Stairs5.thumb.jpg.970744dd8bd6a09bbae7191b475e2a05.jpg

Just something to be aware of:  framless glass balustrades, i.e. without handrail, might not be as straightforward as you'd hope (or the style magazines suggest!) if you need it to meet building regs.  Frameless would have been my first choice, but getting someone to make it to meet regulations started getting very expensive, with talk of steel strings clad in timber to take the loadings.

That's a beauty!

Well I believe my father is wanting ceiling to string glass on one side (but not shaped to the string just parallel to the lower slope of the stairs) The other side is against a block wall so this will have a hand rail fitted. Makes no sense to me... I think it will look clumsy but that's what they want.

43 minutes ago, iSelfBuild said:

Well I believe my father is wanting ceiling to string glass on one side (but not shaped to the string just parallel to the lower slope of the stairs) The other side is against a block wall so this will have a hand rail fitted. Makes no sense to me... I think it will look clumsy but that's what they want.

Should be fine with a ceiling fix as long as the glass spec is ok.  That will look the dogs danglies!

58 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Should be fine with a ceiling fix as long as the glass spec is ok.  That will look the dogs danglies!

Hope so!

Here is where we are at with the design. Started with a none cut string (1) which is much more traditional in design and then my Mother found the staircase picture above in a magazine... So we went to a cut string (2) and we have just tried out design 3 which also incorporates the sweeping treads. What do people think?

Stairs.png