Metal roof covering costs

Russell griffiths

A bit vague but has anybody got any figures for metal roof covering, per metre, looking at various types from the basic steel zincalume farm shed stuff to a raised seam zinc 

only had one quote back in so far for an aluminium raised seam, looks like a good product with a very good life span warranty on the coating 

trying to get a feel for realistic price verses the inflated Cotswold salmon colour cords and yellow sock brigade that they think I am. 

Cheers russ. 

My corrugated iron worked out about £10/m2, for the heaviest grade of sheeting with the most durable coating,  inc all flashings and fixings.

If you go for thinner sheets with a galv finish, and no fixings or flashings, it's about £5/m2.

• Like 1

I have some Zinc which cost over £100 per square metre fitted, maybe £120. I think that included a box gutter around the edge. It took a few quotes to get the price down to that level which still seemed high to me.

There is an aluminium alternative, which I didn't know existed.

http://www.euroclad.com/roofs/vieo-roof-profile/

People seem to be quoting around £60 a metre for this.

My builder did suggest the Tata one but we just felt it looked to plasticky. Not sure the planners would have allowed it either as it's a conservation area.

A lot depends on how visible it is. Ours is right on front of the house and also can be looked down on from other rooms in the house.

Edited by AliG

Our best quotes for standing seam were for Falzinc which came in around £71/sqm as well as VMZinc which was £79/sqm. Some quotes were similar to yours though at around £100-120/sqm. Beware that ridges, drips, flashing etc etc will be priced by the linear meter and will range from £22-70/lm (drip flashing cheapest/ridge flashing dearest).

We looked at Tata, Euroclad et al but we were put off by the fact that should the plastisol coating get scratched or you cut the sheets e.g. for penetrations, then the steel will rust unless sealed properly.

We found most manufacturers difficult to talk to regards design details though most were amenable to supply samples.

I did go and look at the Euroclad in Cardiff, great product, similar price to Tata,  but you do need to rent a seamer tool at £290.00 per 2 weeks if installing yourself.

The finish is similar to Tata, up close you can see the pattern on the coating. in no way does it look plasticky once it is on.

I am in a National Park, showed them both Euroclad and Tata, they chose tata but what do they know?

My advice is choose another colour than anthracite........

it really does depend if you are fitting yourself and budget. I have 300+ sqm to fit, have fun.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2018 at 17:12, Crofter said:

My corrugated iron worked out about £10/m2, for the heaviest grade of sheeting with the most durable coating,  inc all flashings and fixings.

If you go for thinner sheets with a galv finish, and no fixings or flashings, it's about £5/m2.

cheapest std concreter tiles cost under £1 each --10 to the sqm --so you want cheap and wieght on roof not a factor.

there are even some recycled plastic /slate mixture tiles at close to same price and they look exactly like slates.but much lighter than concrete tiles.

plenty of choices for an economical roof.

you just said it in your post about steel  roofing "most durable coating" --will still not be as durable as concrete tiles or recycled plastic slate mix units.

FWIW, we used recycled plastic "slates".  About the same price as mid-quality Spanish slate, so not that cheap, but virtually no wastage at all, so there's a real saving of around 10% to 20% in material cost.  The bigger saving is on installation cost, as they are only 20% of the weight of real slate, so are much quicker and easier to carry up on to the roof, and a bit quicker to nail down, but they do have to be pilot drilled for the nails.  If they aren't pilot drilled the nails just bounce off, as they are moulded with a slight curve so they snug down tight on the "slate" below.

Overall the cost was about the same as Tata Urban, as that was our original choice, and what was in our planning consent.  We had to change away from the Tata Urban as the manufacturer of the integrated, flexible, solar panel system that was just bonded directly on to the steel roofing, went bust.  Pity, as it was a really good looking system.

On 16/12/2018 at 19:31, Tosh said:

We looked at Tata, Euroclad et al but we were put off by the fact that should the plastisol coating get scratched or you cut the sheets e.g. for penetrations, then the steel will rust unless sealed properly.

We are in exactly the same position and will have whatever metal roofing we have on the first floor walls as cladding. We have samples of Tata, Euroclad and have been comparing general pricing. We also looked at alternatives like the Marley Eternit.

We are now leaning to a cheaper alternative a plastisol covering metal from a local firm at a fraction of the price of Tata and Euroclad given that it will rust the same, it's all down to getting someone who is competent to install it! https://www.excelclad.co.uk/sheets--cladding-14-c.asp

Edited by canalsiderenovation

• 4 weeks later...