Protecting newly installed kitchen from humidity in unfinished house

oranjeboom

New kitchen has been installed so looking to protect as best as I can whilst other parts of the house are plastered and painted (late Jan). Last plastering was done 3wks ago (in hallway and a small area in the kitchen where a doorway had to be blocked up. Kitchen floor also had self levelling poured 2 weeks ago.

Kitchen installer mentioned covering the units with cardboard to protect it from the 'damp'. Is this wise? I would think that would just attract/absorb the humidity and bugger up the mdf....

My thought was to just take the plinths off and allow the air to circulate around the units (there's a 50mm gap up the sides).

House is sealed up but has no heating yet (Sunamps should get here in Jan/Feb).

Any thoughts?

TIA!

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Dehumidifier surely?

Was hoping not  as that's in use in the caravan 24/7. Was hoping to do without in the house as either I have to buy a new one or lug the damn thing between house and 'van. But if there's a real risk of damaging the mdf I will.

Incidentally none of the mdf is in contact with the floor.

Edited by oranjeboom

54 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Was hoping not  as that's in use in the caravan 24/7. Was hoping to do without in the house as either I have to buy a new one or lug the damn thing between house and 'van. But if there's a real risk of damaging the mdf I will.

Incidentally none of the mdf is in contact with the floor.

I would say it would s a big risk for the sake of a pre-owned half price mint dh off eBay.

Edited by Ferdinand

And what about also covering up the units with cardboard as well?? Most likely his ploy in not having to get rid of all the cardboard packaging I suspect!

Ok, I'll lug the dh in there tomorrow and maybe seal the room off from the rest of the house. I should also have my MHRV system running next month so that should help.

Don't see the point of the cardboard TBH. We did have some taped on the ends of the units for a while to prevent them from being knocked when things were being carried through but we didn't have them covering the units. Our plastering was all done throughout the house when the kitchen was fitted however. 

10 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

And what about also covering up the units with cardboard as well?? Most likely his ploy in not having to get rid of all the cardboard packaging I suspect!

Ok, I'll lug the dh in there tomorrow and maybe seal the room off from the rest of the house. I should also have my MHRV system running next month so that should help.

Why not also put a min/max temp and humidity in there? They cost very little.

I just bought one of these for a tenner and it seems fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017KNQNZA

F

19 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Was hoping not  as that's in use in the caravan 24/7.

the cost of a cheap dehumidifier from Argos or whatever is alot cheaper than the remedying the consequentials.  You probably want one or two running in the house anyway if you have a mix of rooms at 2nd-fix and finished.  Drying out generates a LOT of moisture which is best removed.  At this time of the year, you need active dehumidifiers, IMO.