Sorry if this is in the wrong place. We are sorting out everything for the planning application (plot in Ceredigion) and would now like to get an idea of the costs and timescales for all of the services, it is a side plot in a row of bungalows

Electrical: Existing is overhead to the plot boandry. Who do we contact?

Water: I believe it goes under what will be the front of the bungalow: who to contact?

Sewer: I believe the mains is out in the middle of the road: who to contact.

Telephone/broadband: no idea where this is placed: who to contact?

Thanks Geoff

Electrical: Existing is overhead to the plot boandry. Who do we contact? (Local Power network company they will sort the connection to a fuse on your site, then you need an energy company to install the meter, just ask for an account, our new connection from a pole on our land was £800 and the meter was free from our electricity supplier,}

Water: I believe it goes under what will be the front of the bungalow: who to contact?{The local water company but if you are building over such a pipe you will need some expensive design work, cheaper to move the house back!, they will give you a price to install a connection to a water meter.}

Sewer: I believe the mains is out in the middle of the road: who to contact. {Local Water company again - same issue if building over a pipe.}

Telephone/broadband: no idea where this is placed: who to contact? {Just find a provider - Virgin, BT, Sky and they will sort it with Openreach - might not be cheap though depends as there is standard charge but it depend son how far.}

Electrical - Western Power or Scottish Power depending on where you are in Ceredigion (roughly north for SP and south for WP).

Water and Sewer - Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water

Phone line - Open Reach

Good luck with all of them on both costs and dealing with large organisations based in a universe far far away!!

Suppliers as others have said except you can't go direct to Openreach, they will only take jobs from service providers.

Prices vary as to how much needs doing and who your supplier is - 

I paid £380 for gas and £13000 for electric (supply close to me was at capacity so had to pay for about 100m of cable laying ... on a Sunday

Water was about £400 and sewerage just had to pay for application and inspection as was all done on my land.

In addition was all the work done my side of the boundary, they only did up to the boundary.

Water and sewerage you have to pay for the enquiry.

I've gone with BT for phone as I don't think it will be very straightforward and they have quoted a flat fee of £50 for supplying line.  Combined with a £10 per month reduction on my current supplier I will actually be £130 better off over the 18 month contract 

Edited by Hecateh

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

I naively thought I would sort this out easily, but to fill in the form for the sewer you need to have had you Bulding Control drawings done as detail about the pipe diameter etc is needed (unless of course, you know these things...)

Unless you are going several hundred metres and below roads and building 3 or more properties etc, it is pretty much guaranteed that you will use 110mm underground pipe. It’s the defacto standard for drainage. 

• Like 2

Typically you will have to fill out forms requesting a quote for each service. They will usually want two or three copies of your site plan. One of these will be returned to you marked up with where the company plans to put your meter and the route to the main.

Think about this before you send off the drawings. Do you really want the ugly electric meter cabinet on the front of the house? Do you want the ugly consumer unit in the hall above the front door? These are their default locations. Perhaps you have a cupboard against an outside wall you could hide it in? If so mark up one of the drawings to show where you want the meter cabinet to go and mention it in covering letter. Make sure that copy of the drawing is marked with a post it note or similar.

The main rules on location are...

They prefer not needing a key to get to the meter so think about plans for side gates?

Its usually best to put the meter cabinet near the consumer unit but not essential.

Likewise if you want a temporary site supply work out where you need it.

Despite doing all this they still sent us a drawing showing the meter cabinet on the front of our house. However since we were responsible for installing the cabinet and duct we just put it where we wanted and they never said a word when they came to connect us.

Edited by Temp