Back after an absence

Dee

Sorry for posting here but the area I needed was blocked. 

Anyhoo, a heating issue..... I balanced the system awhile ago and it worked perfectly for ages,. Suddenly it all gone Pete Tong. 

What would happen if I opened all shut off valves fully? 

5 minutes ago, Dee said:

Sorry for posting here but the area I needed was blocked. 

Anyhoo, a heating issue..... I balanced the system awhile ago and it worked perfectly for ages,. Suddenly it all gone Pete Tong. 

What would happen if I opened all shut off valves fully? 

Ola !

Nothing bad will happen, just the system will chose to heat the lowest resistance ‘legs’ and the ones furthest away from the pump will either go lazy or not come on at all. 

Turn the TRVs off on all the working radiators and run for an hour. Let us know then if the duff ones start to heat up ?

Ola back! 

There are 4 rads that are luke warm. 

One is the furthest away upstairs, two is on the landing, three and four are cast iron rads on the ground floor. 

I did a brilliant job of balancing them thanks to following your brilliant advice but for some reason it's all gone pear shaped..... A bit like me! 

11 hours ago, Dee said:

Wanted to post in heating and plumbing but it was blanked out so I posted here

That's odd, as I've just had a quick look and there's no restrictions on your account that I can see, so you should be able to post in all the sections you can see.  This is now in the heating section (I'm guessing one of the mods moved it), so if you can't post here let us know.

• 1 month later...

Nip some of the ones nearest the pump a 1/4 turn further closed. Leave for an hour and check. 

Dont forget balancing gets affected by temp changes and the TRV’s opening and shutting. So fro eg, when cold you may find its a mixed bag, but when warmed up a bit the upstairs TRV’s will partially or fully shut and the downstairs one mayvthen come on. 

Are they all on 22mm > 15mm pope runs or is there 10mm “microbore” in there too ?

Hello you!

15mm copper pipe to all rads. 

I keep the Tvrs on full for every rad, always .... But once the system is balanced does it effect this if I close down rads via tvrs in the rooms that are shut off for most of the year? 

Ola!

Yes, turn the upstairs ones down to 3 ( out of 5 ) and try again as the sooner they get to temp and start to strangle flow the better it’ll be for downstairs. 3 on most is around 21oC, but if your valves go to 6 or higher then choose the halfway mark. You’re just overheating the upstairs rooms otherwise. ?

Thanks @Nickfromwales... Try what again? I really don't understand this.... Surely the system should be stable once all the lock shields are set? Yet if ojust ne TVR is adjusted it throws the whole system out again? Does that mean I should balance it with all the rads that will be shut off (7) off before I started? What then happens when I want to turn those on only occasionally? Throws it out again? Sorry! 

I've removed all Tvrs as nearly all pins had seized up, WD40 and a hammer helped!