Passive House Aware Window Installers

andy

Hi

Just starting to get window quotes in and some are supply only, does anyone have a recommendation of a passive house airtightness aware installer?  Installation in Hampshire.

Shortlist is GBS, Rationel and Internorm.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

I think @Russell griffiths has hit the nail on the head. My Internorm were supply and fit.  The fitters who came did not have much experience - if any - of fitting these windows or passive principles....I think one of them even said it was like fitting any other window but that comment in the mists of time now

Internorm are the market leaders ( I dont think they do supply only) yet the cowboys who fitted mine had not even watched the utube training vids properly judging by the c**k up they made of  it all.

Some fitters are better than others as is the way with everything from the slab/frame up. Its pot luck even with the same distrubutor they have several teams of fitters usually just hope you get the good ones who know their job and watch them like hawks having first watched as many utubes you can find on the particular windows you choose. At least then you have a chance of spotting anything going wrong.

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lizzie said:

Internorm are the market leaders ( I dont think they do supply only)

We bought Internorm PH entrance doors and fitted them ourselves, although that was eight years ago and things might have changed now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andy said:

Thanks for the replies, it’s a shame that such a critical element is almost left to chance!  Will definitely be there for the install.

That's very true. The sales people tell you what a great well insulated window it is and then I've seen fitters leave big gaps and then cover them with trim :(

So what's involved with fitting windows/doors and making sure they're sealed up nicely?

15 hours ago, Vijay said:

So what's involved with fitting windows/doors and making sure they're sealed up nicely?

We had our Rehau Geneo windows installed by the manufacturers. They were fitted into a timber frame construction. The frames come with a central groove all the way round the outside which was fitted with Compiband expanding foam tape. It is important to use the correct thickness of tape for the gap between the frame and the opening. They then fitted the windows to the openings with straps. That gave a draught proof fitting. I then went around each window installing another layer of Compriband tape on the outside edge of the frame. I then foamed the gap between the frame and reveal on the inside and then foamed behind the plasterboard on the reveal. I installed the Internorm entrance doors myself using a similar method.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Neil said:

Is this similar to/the same as the stuff that Charlie Luxton used on this build (if anyone watched the YouTube mini series on his build)?

I've just looked at his video and it looks the same. I've used two layers of Compriband and Soudal low expansion foam on the inside. Soudal do their own window installation system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HnLT9S3io

• Like 1