Where oh where do I put it?

I am planning the design for our new build and have created a nicely sized plant room on the ground floor.  In our last build, our MVHR was put up in the loft and this appears to be a very standard place.  However, it was horrible to get to to change the filters and more importantly, in this build we are having a flat roof so no lofts in sight!

Is there any possible reason why the MVHR cannot go downstairs?  If the intake and exhause vents need to be at first floor level, is there normally any resitriction on the length of pipework?  We haven't even looked at MVHR units yet so checking the spec of "our" unit isn't possible.  

If there is no reason not to put it downstairs, am I missing something in wanting it accesible? I know you only change the filters once or twice a year ( not sure because I am not the one who would venture into the loft to do the deed), but it just seems to make better sense to me.  It also caused us lots of issues when it came to doing the air-tightness tests at the end.  We have learnt a lot from that build which was lovely to live in but cost a fortune to heat.

14 minutes ago, Sue B said:

If there is no reason not to put it downstairs, am I missing something in wanting it accesible?

If is best positioned somewhere reasonably centrally to keep the runs to your manifolds simple and ditto for the external inlet and outlet pipe.  You will also need some routine maintenance access as described in the installation manual.  They also tend to be a fairly noisy -- on a par with a fridge but continuous when running so housing it in a cupboard or a services room (rather than a living one)  is a good idea.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, Alan said:

I've designed my plant room to be in the basement. Can the MVHR be located there or does it need an exterior wall?

It can be pretty much anywhere as long as you are within the manufacturers distances for the inlet and exhaust making it to an external wall. Also means both need insulating properly so you don’t get condensation issues.  

Thanks Peter. Just out of interest...is there anything you wouldn't recommend putting in a Plant Room located in a basement?

Due to this forum I've already got rid of the CVU!

The fun can sometimes be when you want to drain down and the hot water tank is in the basement ... either need a drain point or some sort of pump arrangement if you need to “lose” 300 litres or more of water into a drain.