gc100

No deal Brexit impact

54 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Read that as hand shandy.

Really? I mean really? 

I'm reading today that Brexit is bad because we'll be flooded with cheap food and also that Brexit is bad because food will become more expensive. 

Why are you doing these hurty things to us, Brexit?

On 27/09/2020 at 10:11, ToughButterCup said:

Really? I mean really? 

When you're a hammer, all the world looks like a nail.

Now, this thread is incorrectly named as Brexit occurred Jan 2020. 

What we are experiencing is the end of the transition period with or without an equivalent agreement.

Not as catchy.

• Like 1

Customs controls aren't the only think likely to cause problems at Dover in January. What does Boris plan to do about...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347628/brexit-news-france-emmanuel-macron-latest-eu-uk-fishing-rights-vn

"French fishermen threaten to blockade ports in Brexit row revolt 'this is the end of us!'

"If we can't enter British waters, it's practically the end of our profession.

"We might decide to flex some muscles. We got into trouble before for blocking the port of Calais, but it's something we will discuss"

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

French fishermen threaten to blockade ports in Brexit row revolt 'this is the end of us!'

Isn’t that what we have those lovely new type 45 destroyers for ..??

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Isn’t that what we have those lovely new type 45 destroyers for ..??

I'm sure the Sun has a GOTCHA! headline ready to roll.

I do sometimes wonder if that section of the media wants a rerun of WW2 for old times sake, closely followed by the 1966 World Cup and then the Falklands. 

• Haha 2

First lorry Park for 2000 lorries under construction in Kent..

Daily Mail: Brexit: Photos show 27-acre Kent field being turned into lorry park.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8873383/Brexit-Drone-photos-reveal-27-acre-Kent-field-workers-turn-park-1-700-lorries.html

Another TWENTY EIGHT lorry parks needed..

Some 29 lorry parks are expected to be built across England in order to cope with potential post-Brexit border trading chaos as hopes of a UK-EU free trade deal are repeatedly dashed. Locals will not have a say in the construction of the sites which are being built in Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Solihull, Kent, Essex, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. 

I wonder who has won the coffee franchise? Should I buy Costa shares?

Imported Chinese bicycles to become much cheaper. Good news unless you are a small British bicycle maker..

Bloomberg: Brexit Sparks Battle on Chinese Bikes as U.K. Ends EU Levies.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-30/brexit-sparks-a-battle-over-chinese-bikes-as-u-k-ends-eu-levies

"Brompton Bicycle Ltd. and Frog Bikes Ltd. are among firms saying they risk being undercut when the Brexit transition period ends on Dec. 31 and tariffs of up to 48.5% levied by the EU on bikes imported from China stops applying. The EU introduced the levy because large state subsidies were giving the country’s producers an unfair advantage."

Snip

“We have been consulting with British bicycle producers and recognize the challenges that the industry faces,” the Department for International Trade said in a statement. “However, British consumers will bear the brunt of higher prices if anti-dumping measures were retained or carried across from the EU.”

Snip

The U.K. is assessing each of the EU’s anti-dumping rules on a case-by-case basis. If British producers account for no more than 1% of the domestic market, the government will drop the anti-dumping tariff.

Perhaps the reason they only have <1% is the Chinese state subsidy?

Edited by Temp

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Brompton Bicycle Ltd. and Frog Bikes

As a kids bike from Frog costs about 300 quid, I don't think they are competing with mainstream manufacturers.

But this must be why MG don't sell many cars in the UK, Bentley have stolen the market.