No deal Brexit impact

gc100

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

ask any game keeper that runs a shoot about french and Italian shooters --if it flys no matter the size they want to shoot it

I used to work on a west coast estate. My anecdotal experience is that many continental hunters are much more switched on when it comes to sustainable hunting. They have a strong culture of hunting for a purpose, rather than fun.

On the other hand, some (but definitenly not all hunters) from the UK couldn't care less about the impact of what they were doing and were by far the most ignorant people I took out.

Stereotyping entire populations is a lazy way of constructing an argument.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jamieled said:

Stereotyping entire populations is a lazy way of constructing an argument.

true, but when I visited  a friend who moved to France to help with his renovation he was amazed at the locals that shot anything that moved.

12 hours ago, daiking said:

Why is this in the Brexit thread?

Because if we were a full EU member then France could not initiate independent restrictions against free trade with us. If we were a full EU member and the EU genuinely believed we were a plague ridden nation that needed to be isolated for a few months any action against us would be following EU consensus.

35 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Because if we were a full EU member then France could not initiate independent restrictions against free trade with us. If we were a full EU member and the EU genuinely believed we were a plague ridden nation that needed to be isolated for a few months any action against us would be following EU consensus.

They can’t do it to non-EU nations either so there should be an agreement soon. A 48 hour stoppage in this crisis is not doing anything to help just annoying people before Xmas. They’re pretty much annexing Eire as well as the UK and if the 18hour Eire to France ferry was preferable to the use of the UK’s roads, they would have been doing it for decades...

14 minutes ago, daiking said:

They can’t do it to non-EU nations either so there should be an agreement soon. A 48 hour stoppage in this crisis is not doing anything to help just annoying people before Xmas.

Let's agree to look on the bright side. If this situation (mutant virulent new strain plus the blockade) does spiral out of control, then the Little Englander Boomers who were the core of the brexit vote will be standing shivering outside Tesco in mid January with their ration card to pick up their weekly allowance of 6 eggs and 2 rashers of bacon.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Let's agree to look on the bright side

That does not sound like you?

4 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

the Little Englander Boomers who were the core of the brexit vote will be standing shivering outside Tesco in mid January with their ration card to pick up their weekly allowance of 6 eggs and 2 rashers of bacon.

No, everyone will be doing that (not). Perhaps exotic fruit or certain “foreign” produce may be a little scarce . Any items  sent in containers  are not being stopped, it’s only lorries with drivers (and many of them are drivers trying to get home to the EU fir Christmas. )

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

But they did ?, anyway we are still in transition so trade agreements still stand surely?

Exactly. Its a fast moving situation but as far as I know the Netherlands stopped all passenger travel but continued to allow freight. There's no good reason for what the French have done, they've had to wrap it up in a Covid blanket and say its for 48 hours. It can't stick or they'll be in trouble. 

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Perhaps exotic fruit or certain “foreign” produce may be a little scarce .

As long as pickled onions, red cabbage, pigs in blankets and sprouts are still available I'll be happy. SWMBO less so...

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

how much Danish bacon is bought in the UK?

Why does anyone want to buy that? Or Danish butter, Or New Zealand Lamb?  We "make" all of those here.  I don't buy them because I object to the food miles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

how much Danish bacon is bought in the UK?

is it a necessity? I buy locally sourced stuff, perhaps Brexit may make us all think about more local shopping!

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, daiking said:

There's no good reason for what the French have done

I cant see one either. The only conclusion I can draw is that the French are upset about the 'fish' issue and are taking the opportunity to create some mischief. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

2 hours ago, daiking said:

They can’t do it to non-EU nations either so there should be an agreement soon. A 48 hour stoppage in this crisis is not doing anything to help just annoying people before Xmas. They’re pretty much annexing Eire as well as the UK and if the 18hour Eire to France ferry was preferable to the use of the UK’s roads, they would have been doing it for decades...

I  think that in practice they can do either. There are some emergency get-outs from EU rules, and then enforcement against that being over used takes up to 5-10 years.

France banned British beef in I think 1990 or soon after, whilst an EU worldwide ban was not imposed until 1996.  France continued an illegal ban for years after the EU one was lifted. 

Obviously sufficient measures to protect French people from BSE in France were not taken (which TBF probably mirrors certain aspects of the early response here too, though it was long after the seriousness of the problem was known).

F

I  think the way to deal with the immediate impact  of the stoppage is fairly obvious - we have capacity to implement 100%  lateral flow testing for an immediate COVID result at the Port of Dover and the Chunnel at very short notice.

The total trucks going out of Dover and the Chunnel are about 10k per day in toto. And it's not as if presently they have got to get going in less time than it takes ?.

The question would be whether the test is reliable enough in the view of the French or EU authorities.

My view on the other question is that Napoleon Macron will continue playing games until shortly before his fishing industry is due to turn into a pumpkin at midnight. It's how it works.

F

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

I cant see one either. The only conclusion I can draw is that the French are upset about the 'fish' issue and are taking the opportunity to create some mischief. 

Nations always squabble, previously EU membership kept a lid on it.

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That will be the test that misses 58% of positive results.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4469

No. Disagree.

It would be the test that delivers (from your link)

- 99.7% correct positive results in heavy viral load.

- 79% when used by lab scientists.

- 73% when used by trained healthcare staff.

- and your 58% with self-trained members of the public !!

The Port of Dover and the queue for the  Chunnel are controlled spaces, and the ones we really need to detect are the heavy viral loads.

It's not 100%, which is why I think it depends on what they want.

Though I do wonder how much variant strain already exists elsewhere eg France as it seems likely that it is flagged here first is just because we are the best at finding it.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/21/1015315/the-uk-is-spooking-everyone-with-its-new-covid-19-strain-heres-what-scientists-know/

F

It found an overall sensitivity of 76.8%, but this rose to over 95% in individuals with high viral loads. The overall specificity of the test was reported as 99.68%, meaning a false positive rate of 0.32% (22/6967 tests.)

The evaluation found that the test performed best when used by laboratory scientists when the sensitivity was 79% (156/197 positive: 79.2% (95% confidence interval 72.8% to 84.6%)).

Sensitivity dropped to 73% when used by trained healthcare staff (92/126 positive: 73.0% (64.3% to 80.5%)) and to 58% with self-trained members of the public (214/372 positive: 57.5% (52.3% to 62.6%)).