No deal Brexit impact

gc100

On 27/09/2020 at 10:11, ToughButterCup said:

Really? I mean really? 

When you're a hammer, all the world looks like a nail.

Now, this thread is incorrectly named as Brexit occurred Jan 2020. 

What we are experiencing is the end of the transition period with or without an equivalent agreement.

Not as catchy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Customs controls aren't the only think likely to cause problems at Dover in January. What does Boris plan to do about...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347628/brexit-news-france-emmanuel-macron-latest-eu-uk-fishing-rights-vn

"French fishermen threaten to blockade ports in Brexit row revolt 'this is the end of us!'

"If we can't enter British waters, it's practically the end of our profession.

"We might decide to flex some muscles. We got into trouble before for blocking the port of Calais, but it's something we will discuss"

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Isn’t that what we have those lovely new type 45 destroyers for ..??

I'm sure the Sun has a GOTCHA! headline ready to roll.

I do sometimes wonder if that section of the media wants a rerun of WW2 for old times sake, closely followed by the 1966 World Cup and then the Falklands. 

• Haha 2

First lorry Park for 2000 lorries under construction in Kent..

Daily Mail: Brexit: Photos show 27-acre Kent field being turned into lorry park.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8873383/Brexit-Drone-photos-reveal-27-acre-Kent-field-workers-turn-park-1-700-lorries.html

Another TWENTY EIGHT lorry parks needed..

Some 29 lorry parks are expected to be built across England in order to cope with potential post-Brexit border trading chaos as hopes of a UK-EU free trade deal are repeatedly dashed. Locals will not have a say in the construction of the sites which are being built in Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Solihull, Kent, Essex, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. 

I wonder who has won the coffee franchise? Should I buy Costa shares?

Imported Chinese bicycles to become much cheaper. Good news unless you are a small British bicycle maker..

Bloomberg: Brexit Sparks Battle on Chinese Bikes as U.K. Ends EU Levies.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-30/brexit-sparks-a-battle-over-chinese-bikes-as-u-k-ends-eu-levies

"Brompton Bicycle Ltd. and Frog Bikes Ltd. are among firms saying they risk being undercut when the Brexit transition period ends on Dec. 31 and tariffs of up to 48.5% levied by the EU on bikes imported from China stops applying. The EU introduced the levy because large state subsidies were giving the country’s producers an unfair advantage."

Snip

“We have been consulting with British bicycle producers and recognize the challenges that the industry faces,” the Department for International Trade said in a statement. “However, British consumers will bear the brunt of higher prices if anti-dumping measures were retained or carried across from the EU.”

Snip

The U.K. is assessing each of the EU’s anti-dumping rules on a case-by-case basis. If British producers account for no more than 1% of the domestic market, the government will drop the anti-dumping tariff.

Perhaps the reason they only have <1% is the Chinese state subsidy?

Edited by Temp

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Brompton Bicycle Ltd. and Frog Bikes

As a kids bike from Frog costs about 300 quid, I don't think they are competing with mainstream manufacturers.

But this must be why MG don't sell many cars in the UK, Bentley have stolen the market.

• 5 weeks later...

More Brexit madness... 

If you are an EU national and live and work in the UK your spouse and any children you have will still be allowed to join you in the UK after Brexit. No need to meet any particular immigration rules. I've no problem with that. 

However if you are British and married to an EU national you won't be allowed to return to the UK after Brexit. Well you can return but you spouse and children will have to meet the strict immigration rules including those relating to jobs and salary. 

So we are discriminating against British nationals.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

More Brexit madness... 

If you are an EU national and live and work in the UK your spouse and any children you have will still be allowed to join you in the UK after Brexit. No need to meet any particular immigration rules. I've no problem with that. 

However if you are British and married to an EU national you won't be allowed to return to the UK after Brexit. Well you can return but you spouse and children will have to meet the strict immigration rules including those relating to jobs and salary. 

So we are discriminating against British nationals.

good.

Pakisatan type countries have abused this for years with the vile arranged marriages.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

good.

Pakisatan type countries have abused this for years with the vile arranged marriages.

Or have they complied with the rules in both countries.

I find bull fighting very obnoxious, and throwing donkeys off church steeples, but that is Spanish culture.

I still like to think that British people are tolerant, forgiving and understanding, but it seems we are really an ignorant, arrogant and racist nation.

Having been a refugee, I feel a bit more qualified to comment. It is not a nice experience.

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

good.

Huh? This isn't about people coming to the UK from outside the EU. Its about British people being unfairly treated compared to EU nationals. 

If you are worried about  immigration to the UK from outside the EU you probably shouldn't have voted fot Brexit. As I understand Brexit is and will make it easier to come to the UK from outside the EU. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52752656

"UK migration: Net migration from outside EU hits 'highest level'

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/work-visas-and-migrant-workers-in-the-uk/

"For the first time since 2006, the majority of people moving to the UK for work are from non-EU countries, accounting for 56% of all work migration in 2019."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Temp said:

Huh? This isn't about people coming to the UK from outside the EU. Its about British people being unfairly treated compared to EU nationals. 

If you are worried about  immigration to the UK from outside the EU you probably shouldn't have voted fot Brexit. As I understand Brexit is and will make it easier to come to the UK from outside the EU. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52752656

"UK migration: Net migration from outside EU hits 'highest level'

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/work-visas-and-migrant-workers-in-the-uk/

"For the first time since 2006, the majority of people moving to the UK for work are from non-EU countries, accounting for 56% of all work migration in 2019."

As a LL since brexit tenants from EU dropped right off . Tenants from rest of the world gone right up . This is the biggest brexit ‘lie’ in my opinion . You want to lower immigration? So vote leave EU - and yet in reality you just ‘shift’ from eu migrant to ‘rest of world migrant ‘ . Complete and utter BS ! “ keep those bloody EU foreigners out “ - yeah ; swapped for everywhere else on Earth . A complete farce .

26 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why we are arguing over fishing, worth about 0.06% of our economy.

But what percentage did it used to be???, I remember fishermen being paid to decommission their fishing boats. Open boat yards, build fishing boats encourage fishing, eat more fish ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The whole idea of leaving the EU was to distort the 'level playing field'

Why we are arguing over fishing, worth about 0.06% of our economy.

The % is irrelevant, it could be 0.00000001 and It would matter not a jot. It's about sovereignty, as a refugee maybe you don't understand it like a native.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

It's about sovereignty

The last refuge of a scoundrel.

(not quite, as the original quote was patriotism)

The main point is that we are not a fishing nation, and have not been for 60 years.  The world has moved on and the UK trades in finance and insurance, with a few other services thrown in.

We took the money to scrap out fleet as we were unwilling to increase investment, we also sold our quotas to people that wanted to expand.

We also paid people to sit on EU boats, fishing in the South Atlantic, just to appease the Canadians.  How barmy is that.

Basically, if we want to trade with other countries, other than under WTO rules, we have to abide by their standards and legislation, we cannot set our own standards and expect them to be accepted without question.  

never thought i would come on here and read about fishing rights and quotas. My family invested heavily  fishing in atlantic (st kilda up to the west side of orkney)in the early 90's, we lost it over night in a political decision TBH I dont know if it was Westminster or Brussels . Funnily enough i was in that area two weeks ago and guess what we came across a lot of mainland Europe registered boats and NO uk boats. If we go out a bit further out just past Rockall there is a very large chinese fleet there just now fishing for tuna in international water (yes we catch small amounts of tuna in the north sea, around Shetland and all the way south to ireland...... but we are not allowed to land them)

I agree with you joe90 about discards but unfortunately we do need some protection for conservation of stocks for future generations.

9 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

I agree with you joe90 about discards but unfortunately we do need some protection for conservation of stocks for future generations.

Oh I agree about conservation but think throwing dead fish overboard is the wrong way of doing it. I think (rightly or wrongly) making our own decisions about our own coastal waters is partly why we voted to leave the EU.

• Like 1