No deal Brexit impact

gc100

2 minutes ago, Markblox said:

Easy to see the savings on running cost for something like an electric bus.  I worked out my "fuel" running cost, assuming I always charge at home overnight, which isn't always the case, I charge from the PV system when there's enough generation.  My car costs about 2p/mile for the electricity used to charge it.  My wife's Toyota Yaris hybrid does about 50mpg and costs around 11p/mile, in fuel, to run.  With that sort of fuel cost saving it probably doesn't take very long for a bus operator to recover the additional cost of purchase.

2 hours ago, K78 said:

VAG are in no way comparable to Tesla. Tesla may not be around in 10 years. VAG own everything from Lamborghini to Skoda. 

Do you believe the cybertruck is real? Surely not?

Your Tesla fanboy hat is clouding your judgement. 

Well, the market cap seems to disagree with you  One is a growth company that BTW does a lot more than make cars, reportedly to soon be making their own batteries too and the other is trying to pivot as quickly as possible to an electric future but is having big problems, partly they can't get the number of batteries they need and partly delays to do with software,  which almost certainly will end up with them paying a lot in those emission fines.

If you think they will go bust you could always short the shares. 

BTW, I am a bit of a Tesla fan boy but definitely not a blind one.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I suspect that those in rural areas, where taxis are expensive and public transport has been in decline for years, may well have a long wait until such services become profitable.  I doubt very much that I'll live long enough to see the end of private car ownership

I would agree with that and with no implication of your early demise.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

although it does seem very likely that those living in cities will be able to give them up fairly easily.

I think simple market forces and technology evolution will persuade the young to tap their Uber or Waymo app in preference to learning to drive or buying a car. But there is also a deeper issue which is a loss of passion for motor car technology, they have just become manufactured consumer products. 35 years ago I could peel back the bonnet of my Triumph Spitfire on a Sunday morning, sit on the front wheel and balance my twin SU carbs by listening to the air intake. What is the Tesla equivalent to that, tapping the console screen and customizing the default Elon Musk fart to listen to?

10 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

What is the Tesla equivalent to that, tapping the console screen and customizing the default Elon Musk fart to listen to?

Not sure, TBH.  Last time I used fart mode I selected Ludicrous Mode and set it to fart on turn signal, with the default seat position for farts to be the front passenger seat.  SWMBO was not amused when I indicated to pull out of our lane . . .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

A toy car with a limited use.  56 mile quoted range.  I could not rely on that to get me to Inverness and back without stopping for a charge.

VERY limited use for a second car, but NEVER a main car.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A toy car with a limited use.  56 mile quoted range.  I could not rely on that to get me to Inverness and back without stopping for a charge.

VERY limited use for a second car, but NEVER a main car.

yes a city car --cheap and easy to park 

A Twizzy would work for my work commute quite well. If only Renault had a more sensible ownership scheme than the silly battery rental thing that makes the twizzy more expensive for commuting than my Lotus Elise.

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

People commute on motor bikes ? .

When I was down south I used to as it was the only way I could stand the traffic.  Except in snow and ice, then I had to gin and bear the traffic in my car.

I also didn't have to pay the 5p toll on the bike.

I see the Tesla Model 3 has just won the UK car of the year award. Not too shabby then.

From an article:  It is also nice to take note that three of the nine champions in their respective categories were all-electric vehicles, proving that the quality and performance of EVs is not only nearing, but exceeding that of internal combustion cars. The Kia e-Niro grabbed the second place while the Porsche Taycan finished third together with the BMW 3 Series.

Edited by Markblox
More info

5 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Tesla UK currently shows delivery in May for new orders of the Model 3. It recall that it was not long ago that same-week delivery was possible.

I wouldn't read too much into that, they make RHD cars in batches and try to time it for the current quarter taking into account the five weeks it takes to get here.  150 cars have appeared into inventory over the last couple of days but are almost certain to still be on the ships steaming up the western approaches.

Trying to time it for the new tax year I expect.

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2020 at 08:00, Markblox said:

Time will tell. You really should get your facts right though. The truck simply isn't on a model X platform. Another fact is the deposit in the US was $100, in the EU single currency area it was 100 Euro. I would love to see your source for the "not many people" comment. Time will tell.

Just read the motoring press or watch any major motoring channel. It is not a real car. It’s not even a full concept. 

Even Tesla fan sites say it is not real. It’s just sheet metal on a tesla “skateboard” chassis. They could put a sheet steel elephant on one if they wanted too. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Markblox said:

Well, the market cap seems to disagree with you  One is a growth company that BTW does a lot more than make cars, reportedly to soon be making their own batteries too and the other is trying to pivot as quickly as possible to an electric future but is having big problems, partly they can't get the number of batteries they need and partly delays to do with software,  which almost certainly will end up with them paying a lot in those emission fines.

If you think they will go bust you could always short the shares. 

BTW, I am a bit of a Tesla fan boy but definitely not a blind one.

With all due respect. Only a idiot would put a £100 deposit on a electric truck that is not even a concept, and expect to get one at the end of next year. You will never see a cybertruck on the road. If he was serious it would need a completely redesigned shell. That would never meet pedestrian safety standards. 

To compare the company that owns vw, Audi, seat, Skoda, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti to Tesla is ridiculous. 

VAG can take the deposit Jeremy mentioned and give you a id3 (the car exists and the company is big enough to deliver). Many thought the model 3 would make Tesla go bust and they would not be able to deliver. Credit to Elon they did. 

Tesla’s future imo is in battery production. They can’t compete when the big car companies go fully electric.

36 minutes ago, K78 said:

With all due respect. Only a idiot would put a £100 deposit on a electric truck that is not even a concept, and expect to get one at the end of next year. You will never see a cybertruck on the road. If he was serious it would need a completely redesigned shell. That would never meet pedestrian safety standards. 

To compare the company that owns vw, Audi, seat, Skoda, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti to Tesla is ridiculous. 

VAG can take the deposit Jeremy mentioned and give you a id3 (the car exists and the company is big enough to deliver). Many thought the model 3 would make Tesla go bust and they would not be able to deliver. Credit to Elon they did. 

Tesla’s future imo is in battery production. They can’t compete when the big car companies go fully electric.

Well, that's a very polite way of calling me an idiot, along with another half a million.

I know there are concepts, most can't actually drive but you say it's not even a concept yet it does drive on the road.  I didn't say I would expect to get one next year, not in the UK.

But Tesla have said, (not me) that it will be launched next year. It would be silly to do a U turn after saying that, why would they?

I know it's not a final design but I'm not an engineer so as far as safety is concerned I trust that can be accommodated.

I can't recall any other car Tesla has scrapped after announcing that it would be produced.  You obviously have insider information on this, can you reveal, or do you just feel it in your water?  Or did you just read it somewhere on the internet?  Please tell.

Latest News:   https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-laser-blade-lights-truck-dimensions/

Edited by Markblox
Addition

It does seem that Tesla have at least one Cybertruck demonstrator that they've taken people for rides in, so they must be a fair way on with development:

It's clearly not based on any existing Tesla floor plan, as no Tesla has a tri-motor option, the only options are dual motor.  It's also pretty clear that it's not using the Model X platform, as none of the numbers are comparable, plus the Cybertruck seems to be based on some of the much smaller Model 3 hardware (we already know that the Model 3 motors are probably going to go in the next generation Model S, and the dash on the Cybertruck looks very like that on the Model 3).

These are the approximate Cybertruck dimensions:

Wheelbase    149.9 in (3,807 mm)
Length    231.7 in (5,885 mm)
Width    ~ 82.0 in (2,083 mm)
Height    75 in (1,905 mm)

And these are the Model X dimensions:

Wheelbase    116.7 in (2,965 mm)
Length    198.3 in (5,036 mm)
Width    78.7 in (1,999 mm)
Height    66.3 in (1,684 mm)

The Cybertruck is way bigger than the Model X, and the Model X is a pretty big car.

You're right, it's not Even a Concept Car.   According to to the link it's further down the line than that and it's real name is a Production-Intent Prototype.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_car

Wow, learn something every day.

Actually, I think that's the bit they are working on now. So what we have seen so far is a working prototype. 

This is also Not Even A Concept Carimage.png.d6020ab1b309b829e162851dffa1116f.png:   

Edited by Markblox
Addition

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

I really shouldn't get involved In this but I like tesla. They have invested a huge amount Into the charging infrastructure and have millions of miles of real world data about autopilot. 

For a small car company they seem a lot more forward thinking than the others that are "resting on the laurels" 

Yes, obviously I like Tesla too, but then I have driven quite a few different makes of electric cars and I think they are all cool,  from the I3, Ipace to the leaf, all great fun.

10 hours ago, Markblox said:

Yes, obviously I like Tesla too, but then I have driven quite a few different makes of electric cars and I think they are all cool,  from the I3, Ipace to the leaf, all great fun.

I have driven a Leaf and i3.

Liked the price of secondhand Leaf and the pave of the i3. But the i3 was like a roller skate with the suspension taken out, so I suspect it is best for countries with smooth roads (which is not us .. or at least not us where I live).