My self-builder's zimmer has arrived!

ToughButterCup

All right, you may laugh. Your hips and knees will go one day....

20181209_132947.thumb.jpg.6c7c3acfd11043295c5719816ce430b3.jpg

At least I know that on Monday morning when climbing on to the  boards to fit the joists, I will not get a  gasp-inducing stab in a hip or knee when  crossing from ladder to trestle board. And - best of all - I'll be able to climb down in comfort.

@Onoff: any way of motorising this? I have a spare lawnmower engine somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wish I'd bought one of these early on.  I sort of bodged together a movable set of steps from the cheap scaffold tower I bought, but it was cumbersome to move around and the steps were too high.

I also made a mistake when buying a hop up platform, thinking taller = better.  It doesn't.  Taller = knackered knees and bashing your head on things.

Just now, JSHarris said:

Wish I'd bought one of these early on. [...]

Your knees weren't (aren't ?) bad enough maybe.

The intense juiciness of the stabbing, ice-pick pain is a strength-sapping  challenge  to self-control. And working alone (ahhhhhhh) all week - a risk just a little too far. 

OK @lizzie, @Hecateh, @newhome : MTFU

• Haha 1

I just didn't think of getting something like this at the time.  The knees got steadily worse through the build, with laying the flooring being the thing that I found really seriously knee-knackering.  I have a selection of different knee pads and braces now, though...

Great bit of kit mate, funny how by the end of the build you have all the tools to do more builds but are too knackered ?. I have found that the right tools help the work sooo much. I guess it will come in handy if you have hedges to cut?

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Your knees weren't (aren't ?) bad enough maybe.

The intense juiciness of the stabbing, ice-pick pain is a strength-sapping  challenge  to self-control. And working alone (ahhhhhhh) all week - a risk just a little too far. 

OK @lizzie, @Hecateh, @newhome : MTFU

Lol, well ordinarily MTFU would apply but given that one of my knees is fecked and I don’t do heights I’ll cut some slack! ?