Sealing ducts

CC45

Evening all,

I've spent a few days pulling sat & cat 6 cables around the house - a few of which I've taken from the attic to under the stairs ready for the tv and I've also got the cable from the MVHR down to the controller - all of these cables go down some 22mm ducts.  The next job is to seal these ducts - I don't want some open ducts letting me down on the airtest!  I'm keen not to use anything that's going to attack the ducts or cables.  My current plan is to use some normal silicone and fill the duct as full as I can and then use some of my left over Siga tape to seal as best I can the exit / entry.

Any better suggestions?

8 hours ago, CC45 said:

I knew that would come up - its just a hell of a price really.

I am hoping @JSHarris will have a good idea - he normally does....

I sealed ours with a bit of chicken wire rolled so it would fit in the remaining space (as a vermin barrier) tied a bit of stiff wire to it (so I could pull the plug out if needed at any time) pushed this down the duct, with the wire hanging out, then sealed it with low expansion squirty foam.  when the foam had hardened I carefully trimmed any excess away and then used Siga tape or self-amalgamating tape (depending on the size of the duct) to cap the ends neatly.  For one 25mm duct with some coax cables coming through I just used self-amalgamating tape, wrapped around the cables first, then stretched and wrapped around the end of the duct and the cables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Hi @JSHarris, out of interest - why self amalgamating tape? Mine is in the attick so it just needs to be airtight.

Thanks

Really because it's relatively easy to use, stretches a great deal (has to be stretched to make it work), never goes sticky or comes undone with age and can be removed without causing any damage or leaving any residue.  Not great for big sealing jobs, but ideal for sealing the ends of smaller cable ducts, or conduit used as ducting.

• Thanks 1

I used to use “tape self almalgamating” years ago when I worked for BT, we used it to seal cable joints, we had a demo where they wrapped it around a joint, left it four hours then cut it open, the tape had turned into a solid lump of rubber and the layers could not be seen or taken apart. The trick as @JSHarris says is to stretch it to half it’s width when wrapping. I got some recently and used it to wrap the insulation on the  flexible hoses going into the ASHP.